HKID Name Change With Canadian Name Change Certificate

Closed Thread

HKID Name Change With Canadian Name Change Certificate

I got my name changed in Canada quite a few years back and received a certificate of name change from the government. I have finally decided to deal with my HKID as well and change my english name to reflect my "new" name.

Has anyone successfully changed their name on their HKID WITHOUT a deed poll and just using whatever documentation they have received from a foreign government? The Immigration Department website seems to indicate that they deal with this on a "case by case" basis but it would be good to hear if anyone has successfully done this.

Also on a side note, I'll be in HK in December for a short visit where I'm hoping to make all these changes. I don't have an HKSAR passport so while I can enter HK with my HKID I was told by the immigration department that I should be able to leave with the temporary HKID papers along with my Canadian passport with the same name. Has anyone else tried this? Or should I just wait in the queue and enter HK with my Canadian passport without worrying about how I get out?

Think you may be able to keep your old ID card to enter and leave HK after applying for a new one before it is issued. When you collect your new ID card, they collect your old one and it will not be returned to you.

If not, use the paper version + a passport.

What name is on your HK ID now , only Chinese name ?
    The Chinese name and the foreign name don't have to match.

Afaik HK accepts the Canadian deed poll you used to change your name in Canada.

I changed my full name way back - in 2007 in my (Indian) passport and in 2011 on my HKID (PR)

Few things:

1) I was surprised to know that any change in name on my passport HAD TO REFLECT on my HKID too. I thought it didn't matter, esp as a Permanent Resident. I casually inquired when I went into Imm. Dept for a relative's visa and the officer told me it was not elective. That would constitute using 2 official names, which can cause legal problems. Hence the long time-span between passport and ID.

Not sure about the English vs Chinese name though.

2) I went in with all my documentation. Changing your name officially in India is a painful and long process. And results in loads of paperwork and documents, including newspapers (announcement section etc). The most important as far as HK Immigration Dept is concerned, is the document/certification issued POST the name change. In my case, it was a stamp in my passport bearing my old name (something like 'the holder of this passport was previously known as.. )

Based on this, I assume the certificate that was issued to you by your govt would be most essential.

3) As other posters have clarified, your paper ID is a valid document in place of the final card until it is issued. You can travel using it. It was very straight forward and, if I remember correctly, was ready after 14 days. Frankly, I was relieved that changing name on HKID was so simple, compared to changing it on my passport.

My info could be outdated. As with all things HKID / Immigration-related, pls do call Immi and clarify. They are helpful.

On a side note, Im curious how you managed to change your name on your passport without Deed poll? Isnt that a first step to changing your name? Good to know..

Last edited by girlinterrupted; 20-11-2017 at 11:00 PM. Reason: To add more details

Quote Originally Posted by lighthse003:
    Think you may be able to keep your old ID card to enter and leave HK after applying for a new one before it is issued. When you collect your new ID card, they collect your old one and it will not be returned to you.

If not, use the paper version + a passport.
    I was under the impression my old ID card gets taken away when I do the application. I'm only in HK for a week so I'll need to get a relative to pick it up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    What name is on your HK ID now , only Chinese name ?
    The Chinese name and the foreign name don't have to match.
    My HKID has both Chinese and English names (which coincidentally are the same). My parents in their infinite wisdom mixed my middle name and first name order when they filled out my birth certificate so I decided to remedy that when I did a legal name change in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by girlinterrupted:
    I changed my full name way back - in 2007 in my (Indian) passport and in 2011 on my HKID (PR)

Few things:

2) I went in with all my documentation. Changing your name officially in India is a painful and long process. And results in loads of paperwork and documents, including newspapers (announcement section etc). The most important as far as HK Immigration Dept is concerned, is the document/certification issued POST the name change. In my case, it was a stamp in my passport bearing my old name (something like 'the holder of this passport was previously known as.. )

Based on this, I assume the certificate that was issued to you by your govt would be most essential.

3) As other posters have clarified, your paper ID is a valid document in place of the final card until it is issued. You can travel using it. It was very straight forward and, if I remember correctly, was ready after 14 days. Frankly, I was relieved that changing name on HKID was so simple, compared to changing it on my passport.

My info could be outdated. As with all things HKID / Immigration-related, pls do call Immi and clarify. They are helpful.

On a side note, Im curious how you managed to change your name on your passport without Deed poll? Isnt that a first step to changing your name? Good to know..
    It sounds like your name change in India could be used to change your name in HK.

I was told by the immigration department that because the paper ID didn't have a picture, I still required a picture ID to travel. I don't actually hold an HKSAR passport so the confusion on my part was whether a Canadian passport+paper ID would be sufficient.

In Canada, we don't use deed polls to change names. It's all managed by the government and we're issued a change of name certificate after we pay our fee and get the appropriate paperwork.

I think your change of name certificate will be fine. Have you already changed your Canadian passport to your new name? Take this too, plus ideally your old passport in your old name too. All I needed when I changed mine was my UK marriage certificate and new passport in my new name, I also took my old passport.

Yes you can travel with your Canadian passport and paper HKID, but you will need to use the manned channel rather than the electronic gates.

Hi there, I'm curious what the end result was. Were you able to apply for an HKID with the name on your Canadian name change certificate (not HK Deed Poll) and updated name on your Canadian passport?