Like Tree39Likes

Dependent Visa - With or Without Marriage

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

What is your profession?

Out of interest, do they actually ask for proof of marriage, and if so what kinds of proof are (un) acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by monomono:
    Out of interest, do they actually ask for proof of marriage, and if so what kinds of proof are (un) acceptable?
    A marriage certificate. If they doubt the intentions, proof of a genuine relationship also.

Quote Originally Posted by monomono:
    not for me. I told them I was married to Meghan markle and they let me in. They even handed me a bag full of cash. Poor Prince has to marry a 'divorcee' now...

Yes, as in most of Asia. Cohabit may upset Chinese parents and parents in law. They may even not attend marriage ceremony or banquet when they are upset and they lose all the parental supports which many married couples have. Another reason is the expensive rent here. New Hong Kong laws are going to be more Chinese than English when they are passed. The old practice of copying laws from England has already stopped, English laws already existed in HK before the handover remain mostly unchanged.

A work visa can be issued to a foreigner with the same skills as locals if the company has a good reputation and not the dodgy type. Well established multinational companies have the best chance and smaller companies less.

Good passports and qualifications mean developed countries and good universities from the western anglophone. Non english speaking countries' qualifications are less favoured. Hong Kong and Singapore qualifications are still considered good here.

@Kimwhy66 - help help I'm being patronised!

@beanieskies - IT Programme Manager - Data Centres - Enterprise management systems, Unified Communications, Telecoms that kind of thing

Sounds like your best bet is to try to get work visa sponsorship. How common are jobs in your field here?

8 years ago I moved here with my long term boyfriend. It was mid 2009 so not a great time to be job hunting, but I found one within 3 months. If you're an experienced professional and you're out here networking you should be able to find a role that will sponsor you.

Cresus likes this.

@Beanieskis - yup that's the path I'm treading - I have a few hot contacts out here just thought if I could get the DV it would make me more palatable on the work front. The local agencies don't want to know. So I guess I'm on my own. I'm tenacious though ;-) thanks for the reply

I was looking at dependent visa options and came across this thread. My partner (french nationality) is here on a Travel visa for the last one year and has not been able to find a job yet. Strangely, no agency wants to sponsor him and i am worried that the immigration department will start questioning soon if this continues. I am on work visa here, my visa is valid until April 2019 and i was wondering if we get married, would my company have to sponsor his dependent visa as well? He does not have a HKID, would it be an issue at the time of registration?
    Thanks!