Like Tree12Likes

DIY work visa?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by NY girl:
    Actually, part-time sponsorship happens all the time. The universities routinely hire people to come in to teach one course. I know. I was one of them. And yes, their unwillingness to handle the paperwork is lazy. But I need the work, so I am grateful for their willingness.
    Was that for a 'sideline' visa? That is, you already have a full visa sponsored by one employer, but you also want to work part time for a second employer.

Actually, part-time sponsorship happens all the time. The universities routinely hire people to come in to teach one course. I know. I was one of them. And yes, their unwillingness to handle the paperwork is lazy. But I need the work, so I am grateful for their willingness.
    Difference between short-term and part-time.

Quote Originally Posted by AJZ:
    Difference between short-term and part-time.
    Indeed. I use to file loads of visa applications to teach a course (probably over a hundred in my time) but none of those would I call part-time.
    JAherbert likes this.

There are absolutely parts of the form you will not be able to fill in. For example, it asks how many full time staff are permanent residents and how many are on visas - how are you going to know that? However, the bits of the form that take the most time, are the bits that ask why you want to employ the person and what they will do. You can certainly write those - at least, anyone capable of drafting a focussed cover letter for a job should be able to to. So I suspect you are just going to have to do the bits you can, and they fill in the rest. They have to submit the form anyway. And you have to fill in your bits anyway.

And no, there is no template. There is just factual information and then a good story as to why you need the person for the company. If they ever applied in the past, as for that form as all the boiler plate would already be on it.

shri likes this.

UPDATE! As some people suspected, this was a job offer that turned sour. Turns out corporate was not willing to support a visa for a part-time worker, so the offer has been rescinded -- until the day I can get a visa. And should I procure one, I told the employer, that would marry me to another company, not theirs. I've learned a lot in the process and thank everyone who offered warnings.

UPDATE! As some people suspected, this was a job offer that turned sour. Turns out corporate was not willing to support a visa for a part-time worker, so the offer has been rescinded -- until the day I can get a visa. And should I procure one, I told the employer, that would marry me to another company, not theirs. I've learned a lot in the process and thank everyone who offered warnings.
    It sounds like a clueless company and you have had a lucky escape. Best of luck in the future

@NY girl thanks for the update. Was seriously left wondering if I had missed some changes in immd policies.