Like Tree6Likes

Extending visa for 7 years

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    Is it though? I thought the standard was now 1 year/3 years/3 years?
    The visa is an employment visa, which is, surprisingly enough, linked to one's employment. If you have a 3 year contract, you get a 3-year visa.

The standard contracts where I work are 1 + 2 + 2 + 3 years. That''s how long we get visas for. The final 3 year contract gives plenty of time to sort out PR between becoming eligible and expiry of visa.
    kimwy66 likes this.

A bit weird, my contract will be renewed for 1 year next month but I just got my visa renewed today with 2 years and not 1 year. So a 1 year contract = 1 year visa may not always be the case.

chingleutsch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kamoteboy911:
    A bit weird, my contract will be renewed for 1 year next month but I just got my visa renewed today with 2 years and not 1 year. So a 1 year contract = 1 year visa may not always be the case.
    I consider myself a bit more educated - thankyou!

Strange for the OP to think it's possible to request Immigration issue a visa for the length they want. Wonder where they are from that this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    The visa is an employment visa, which is, surprisingly enough, linked to one's employment. If you have a 3 year contract, you get a 3-year visa.

The standard contracts where I work are 1 + 2 + 2 + 3 years. That''s how long we get visas for. The final 3 year contract gives plenty of time to sort out PR between becoming eligible and expiry of visa.
    Your work contracts are dictated by the standard HK Immigration visa issuance periods not vice versa. If you have a 3 year contract your first visa will still only be valid for 1 year.

It was announced by the Government that all GEP visas would be changing from 1+2+2+2 to 1+3+3 a few years back.

It may be different for people on 1 year contracts but a lot of people move here on full time contracts. But as Kamoteboy got a 2 year visa it appears we were both incorrect.

From my recent experience the following is typical of an employment (GEP) visa:

- Initial visa 2 years
    - Subsequent visa's 3 years

So typically a 2+3+3 cadence.

Exception to this rule: if you were granted an initial 2 year visa and your assessable income for salaries tax in the previous year is over HKD 2 million. In that case you can ask for a 6 year visa after the initial 2 years. So 2 + 6

Fiona in HKG and Mrs. Jones like this.

Perhaps my memory is hazy then, 2-3-3 is 8 years though, i could have sworn the total was 7 unless it used to be 1+2+2+3 which is quite possible.

Original Post Deleted
    I think you would have had 1+2+2+3 like me (I moved in 2012). They changed it to 2+3+3 around 2014 I think.

Although I still think they have given me 1+2+2+2 as my visa expires in Jan 2019 which is when I can apply for PR

Is it possible to ask the company to apply and collect the visa on your behalf for extension of visa while you're not present in Hong Kong throughout the process?

I moved here in 2010 and had 1+2+2+3. The last one being 3 years gave me plenty of time to do PR paperwork.