Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kma88

Child HK passport renewal / dual citizenship

Closed Thread

Child HK passport renewal / dual citizenship

Hi there,

I'm wondering if someone in this forum can help.

Basically, we live in UK with and are British Citizen (with UK and HK SAR passports), my daughter was born in Hong Kong and she is turning 5 soon. Her HK SAR passport (that she got together with her ID card) is due to expire in early May 2018.

We are due to come back to HK for holiday in Easter (for 2 weeks) and I’m wondering if it would give her enough time to renew the passport. If not, how would be the best way to enter HK.

Would it be possible
    a) entrer and leaving HK with her ID card even though her passport is due to expire in May? (this is because 1) when she leaves UK, she will be using her UK passport, 2) entering HK via HK ID/passport, 3) leaving HK via HK ID/passport and 4) then enterring UK via UK passport)

b) Entry HK with her ID card and leave with her UK passport?

Thanks

Option A is okay.

Your daughter’s HKSAR passport is still valid when you leave HK. When my child enters and leaves HK on a no photo child HKID + HKSAR passport, only his HKID is scanned by Immigration. I thinkg the HKSAR passport merely acts as a photo ID to confirm the child’s identity. Your daughter could probably even enter and leave HK (as a permanent resident) on her HKID + British passport.

You should also consider sending the HKSAR passport renewal application for you daughter by post from the UK now. You don’t need to send in any originals. By Easter, the passport should be ready to be collected (in person) in HK. Its also cheper to renew it this way than applying overseas at the Chinese embassy. And in case one day you visit the likes of Brazil or Russia you could save the hassle of applying for a visa.

shri likes this.

As per kma88, option A fine.

Your daughter is also allowed to present her UK passport together with the non-photo child HKID when entering/exiting HKG regardless whether her HKSAR passport is valid.

Takes about 10-12 WORKING days to get a new HKSAR passport, so 2-wk stay a bit tight even with online appointment. Though you can consider authorizing some1 else to pick up the new passport.

Remember her application may require another HKID holder to counter sign her photo. If applying directly thru HK Immigration (so not via overseas Chinese consulate), your daughter need to be seen in person at least once.

Enjoy your trip!

PS Good tip abt Russia and Brazil!

Applicants should submit their applications through the nearest Chinese Diplomatic and Consular Missions, or mail their applications direct to the Immigration Department in Hong Kong. They should note that the latter option will require them to present the originals of the supporting documents and collect their passports in person at an Immigration Office in Hong Kong.

should Chinese Diplomatic nearby your living place, you can try it also.