Descendents to parents of Chinese nationality, born before 97: Can I lose my HK Permanent Residence?

Closed Thread

Descendents to parents of Chinese nationality, born before 97: Can I lose my HK Permanent Residence?

Hello,

I received my Hong Kong Permanent Residence around 2010 and briefly lived in Hong Kong for a period of about two years. I am born in Canada and have a Canadian passport. My father and mother are of Chinese nationality and have Hong Kong passports. Around 2012, I moved back to Canada for work and infrequently visited Hong Kong, but there's a chance I had periods where I wasn't in Hong Kong for over 36 months.

I'm considering moving back to Hong Kong for work in a few years, but I'm having difficulty interpreting the guidelines and was wondering if someone might be able to assist me or lead me to the right path..

Details about me:

• Currently 32 years old, born in 1986 in Eastern Ontario, Canada
    • Maintains Canadian passport
    • Visited Hong Kong in 2013, 2014 and 2016

Does your HKID have *** on it? If not, then you do not have Chinese nationality and would lose your PR after an absence of 36 months.

But it's no big deal. You will be downgraded to Right to Land which still gives you unconditional stay in HK. Small differences include extra stamp duty on property purchase, not eligible to vote, can be deported with serious crime, etc.