Dependant Visas for Afghan Spouse

Dependant Visas for Afghan Spouse

Hi Everyone,

I am a HK permanent resident and few months ago I married an Afghan girl who resides in Dubai (she holds an Afghan passport). For the past few months, I've been trying to apply for a dependant visa for her but for some reason the hk immigration does not give dependant visas to Afghan passport holders (as HK doesn't have any direct treaty/agreement/relationship with Afghanistan)

Is it true that the immigration doesn't give dependant visas to Afghans? Also, is there anything I could do to get around this problem? Please help!

Thank you in advance.

Where did you get married?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqeel17:
    Hi Everyone,

I am a HK permanent resident and few months ago I married an Afghan girl who resides in Dubai (she holds an Afghan passport). For the past few months, I've been trying to apply for a dependant visa for her but for some reason the hk immigration does not give dependant visas to Afghan passport holders (as HK doesn't have any direct treaty/agreement/relationship with Afghanistan)

Is it true that the immigration doesn't give dependant visas to Afghans? Also, is there anything I could do to get around this problem? Please help!

Thank you in advance.
    Dependents visa is not available for afghan and north korean nationals. You can try applying for multiple entry visit visa for family visit and can try extending it at the discretion of immigration..

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn.T:
    Where did you get married?
    Got married in Dubai in January.

Quote Originally Posted by shafiq:
    Dependents visa is not available for afghan and north korean nationals. You can try applying for multiple entry visit visa for family visit and can try extending it at the discretion of immigration..
    Could she be granted a dependent visa if she comes to HK (on a visit visa) and gets married here again in HK?

Could she be granted a dependent visa if she comes to HK (on a visit visa) and gets married here again in HK?
    No. She being afghan national, is not eligible for dependent visa.

You now know its true Afghans won't get that visa. Only answer seems to change her nationality / passport.

I wonder if she travels on the Certificate of Identity instead of a passport (like HKers born in the mainland use to do before the handover as they were not eligible for the BNO passport then) either issued by the UAE or OP's passport country, would she then be considered stateless and become eligible to apply for the visa.

Quote Originally Posted by kma88:
    I wonder if she travels on the Certificate of Identity instead of a passport (like HKers born in the mainland use to do before the handover as they were not eligible for the BNO passport then) either issued by the UAE or OP's passport country, would she then be considered stateless and become eligible to apply for the visa.
    It's a good suggestion, I haven't checked this area yet. Hopefully, the HK government is understanding enough to accept her on the basis of her Certificate of Identity. Does anyone have any info on this?

It is not possible, under Immigration rules, to get a work visa if you are a Vietnamese national. I tried once, years ago, and was flatly told "impossible". However, I know a Vietnamese lady who got a work visa during the period these rules were in place. She is remarkable, extremely talented and very persistent - but it does show that it IS possible to do the impossible in HK. However, it's extremely rare.

I think your best bet is to move to a third country with your wife and get her a new passport in that country. It will probably take some years.

Another thought is - how about refugee status? Have you tried that? They are not allowed to work, but if you are supporting her, that may be less of an issue.