Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shafiq

New Student Visa After Expiration

Closed Thread

New Student Visa After Expiration

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone was in a similar situation.

I was admitted to a HK university in 2017 for a bachelor's programme, so I have to study here for 4 years. However, I was given a student visa until August 15th 2018, because my passport expires in August 2018, so the visa also expires at the same date.

I have to extend the student visa within 4 weeks before expiration, but I won't be in HK during this time because I went to my home country for summer holidays and probably won't be back until school starts in September.
    The reason I don't want to go back to HK to extend the visa in August is because it's just too expensive to stay there for an extra month, and the university doesn't allow to stay in the dormitory during summer months.

After my visa expires in August, can I reapply for a new student visa instead of the extension of stay? Has anyone done it before, how does this work?

Unless you got the visa on hand, you wont be allowed to register for the second year or be allowed to stay at dorm on the second yr of study.

It s better to get a new passport and apply for extension by july 15. Visa will be approved by 2 to 3 weeks.

As i read that the duration granted was 1 yr because of your passport expiration date, but will normally 4 yrs.

You can goto the immigration and request for an extension earlier than 4 weeks. They are helpful!!

Last edited by shafiq; 21-05-2018 at 07:39 PM.
    Jaz Paul likes this.