Concurrent visas whilst working in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread

Concurrent visas whilst working in Hong Kong?

Long story short, I'd like to know if it is possible to hold my working holiday visa concurrently with a sponsored work visa.

Now the long story...

I have moved to Hong Kong with my partner (we're not married) about a month ago as he was offered a job here. I am still looking for work in my field. To make things easier, I applied for a working holiday visa before I left Australia, so that I could start a job immediately, and pick up temp or freelance work if needed, but ultimately I am looking to get a job that will sponsor me.

In the meantime, I have decided to get a TEFL qualification, and have some English teaching work lined up. This is my backup plan as it is NOT my area of expertise, but sponsorship is on the cards. Once I start teaching, I intend to keep looking for other work.

If I get a visa for the English teaching job, will my working holiday visa be cancelled? From interviews and conversations with recruiters, my ability to start straight away without waiting for a full work visa is an asset, and I don't want to lose it by getting a different visa. I would also like to keep my part time work options open, as the minimum hours required for teaching sponsorship is 17.

Thank you!

They are different visas and you can have only one.

Working holiday let's you work for a short period of time. No more than 6 months I believe. So for longevity it isn't a great way to go. But it's exactly for that, coming here for a short time to try a couple different things out.

An employment visa let's you work for one designated employer for an extended period of time. You could potentially apply for approval on part time work with approval from both your employer and immigration.

For the working holiday for Australians, it is only 3 months unfortunately. My partner and I have agreed that if after 12 months I haven't secured full time work for sponsorship, we will cut our loses, go travel SE Asia for a bit then go home!

So basically, if I get a new visa, my old one will be cancelled once the new one commences? (which as far as I know, requires me to leave and re-enter the country, which is fine, I plan to visit Macau soon anyway!)

I didn't know you could apply for approval for a second part time job though, that is useful to know!

Why not just stay on your working holiday visa? That way you can work as many jobs (for up to 3 months) until you find a more permanent one. It give you a lot more flexibility. If after 2 months you really like the job and want to continue working there, the you can always apply for the employment visa then.