Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By Mrs. Jones
  • 1 Post By JAherbert

HK Visa expiry and extension process delay & PR

Closed Thread

HK Visa expiry and extension process delay & PR

I have just submitted my employment visa extension application (13 June) and told it takes 4-6 weeks to process. My current visa expires 31 July so have close to 7 weeks lead time. Questions1) If there is a process delay (eg additional data request) and the visa isn't approved before 31 July, what should I do? a) go for day trip to macau and return on tourist visa before 31 July (and not work) or b) assume the application process justifies me remaining in HK (again not working?) until a decision is made? 2) would the eventual visa be dated to start on 1 Aug or is it dated on the actual approval date?3) assuming the visa is backdated to 1 Aug so provides continuity of employment visa, do either of the options taken in 1) above create a break in continuous residence record from an eventual PR application perspective? I would hope these are justifiable reasons beyond my control (other than applying earlier of course) for any break in residence.4) similarly, if I go on holiday on 30 July (before receiving visa) and arrive back in HK 14 aug, I assume I would need to re-enter on tourist visa and collect the new employment visa. Even if backdated to 1 Aug would this cause a break?5) is there anything I can do to expedite the process without harassing Imm Dept by camping at their office and calling/emailing for updates daily?I am hopefully panicking for nothing and the visa will be in my passport in 4 weeks but any advice/comments much appreciated!

Tldr.. What's the question again?

kimwy66 and Fiona in HKG like this.

Don't worry, be happy.

I usually did mine 3 weeks before the expiry, booked an online appointment & turned up at Immigration Tower. No problems and walked away in under 2 hours with a fist full of extension visas.

It's an extension, so the principle of your being in HK working has already been approved. Unless you have been arrested and thrown in jail since applying the first time, it should be straightforward.

Haha, sorry....wasn’t formatted like that when I submitted it....

thanks, hopefully you’re right. Actually it’s more complicated as change of employer along with extension.....

but it in theory, if there is a delay in processing beyond my current expiry, where do I stand?

thanks

Ah right, so it's a new visa with a new employer, not a visa renewal, which are different. For a renewal if everything remains the same in your role then renewal is pretty straightforward, but this is a new application and they need to justify why they're employing you.

I expect it will be processed within the timeframe but if it's not I'd suggest you go to Immigration, explain the situation and ask for a few weeks extension to your current visa. I wouldn't plan to leave and come back as a tourist as that will reset the 7 year clock (although you mustn't overstay either, clearly!).

You can apply for interim extension of stay if you plan to leave HK in this period.

Name:  41E9C4C4-FA15-4A33-862F-7463F4864ADF.png
Views: 3663
Size:  2.10 MB

Thanks Shafiq and Beanieskis

1) can you post the full link to the ImmD page...searched but can’t find (being dumb)...

2) does my current or new employer apply for the extension eg 2 weeks and does this allow me to work and/or provide the continuity of residence for future PR application?

Many thanks!!!

As long as you remain ‘ordinarily resident’ whilst waiting for your new employment visa to be processed, being on a tourist visa won’t break the 7year resident rule for permanent residency. This is what the visa geeza claims and has proven correct with friends in similar situations. Just make sure you never overstay your visa!

JAherbert likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones:
    As long as you remain ‘ordinarily resident’ whilst waiting for your new employment visa to be processed, being on a tourist visa won’t break the 7year resident rule for permanent residency. This is what the visa geeza claims and has proven correct with friends in similar situations. Just make sure you never overstay your visa!
    agree 100% with @Mrs. Jones the seven yr residency requirement has nothing to do with your visa - you have to prove that you were "ordinarily resident" so holidays, no work, and explained absence e.g. I went to UK to study to 6 months, are not counted as against you, you do need to have continuous records, say your flat rental agreement or equal, bills, etc. to show you were ordinarily resident for the whole time.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.