Several questions about working visa / permit

Closed Thread

Several questions about working visa / permit

Hello Everyone!

I just moved to Hong Kong and I am looking for jobs and have some interviews within the next days.

It would be very helpful if you could answer me some questions because I couldnt an answer in the other threads.

1) Is it possible to work already from the point of time you have applied the work permit? Or do I have to wait for the positive reply?

2) Is there any difference concerning the permit if the job is a permanent position / internship / freelance?

3) Ist it possible to work for 2 companies at the same time? For example for one as a freelancer and one as a permanent position.

4) How can I convince a local company to hire me?

Thank you very much in advance!

Stefan :-)

1) Clearly you have to wait until the Employment Visa is granted.

2) Yes - an Employment Visa is only granted for a permanent position, or a fixed term contract of at least 6 months (I think - maybe 12 months).

3) No - your Employment Visa is linked to the company that sponsors it. You cannot work for anyone else. If one job doesn't pay you enough to live comfortably then it is not of sufficiently high skill level that you will be able to get an Employment Visa.

4) You have to show that you have skills which they need and which they could not find a HK Permanent Resident to do. You then need to persuade Immigration of this fact too.

You are aware that "moving" to Hong Kong without a visa allowing you to do so is illegal and a breach of the conditions of your Visitor Visa?

These questions have been answered many, many times on these forums, so if you couldn't find the answers you can't have been looking very hard.

Thank you very much for the answers.

But it is not clearly to me:

1) Is there a minimum amount that I have to earn to get a work permit? (I remember I was reading a thread that mentioned about 15.000 HKD, but I cannot find it)

2) Do I necessarily have to have work experience,or is it ok to be a fresh graduate? (with a very unique study path)

3) It seems, it is easier to get a training visa, so would it be possible to apply for this visa and then to change it into a work visa?

Thank you very much in advance, this forum is really helpful :-)

1. There is no official minimum "official" posted amount one must earn but it is close to $20,000 a monthish.

2. The requirement for a visa is not experience. It is holding a skill that a local cannot provide. If you could prove you have skills locals do not than you should be fine.

3. You still need to meet the same requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Biffer:
    3) It seems, it is easier to get a training visa, so would it be possible to apply for this visa and then to change it into a work visa?
    Training Visa's require a lot more preparation time and paper trail including a detailed training plan that has to be submitted for review by immigration. Many companies are reluctant as they tend not to be familiar with the process and/or don't want to put in the time it takes to do. So if you do go this route you should be prepared to do most of the work.

Switching it means that the company has to demonstrate the skills do not exist within the local market,

Ok, thank you very much for your quick replies, I really appreciate that :-).