Like Tree19Likes

Terminated in 2010 - New Job & Work Visa?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    As fiona has quoted, proof of experience is best discharged by submitting references from companies that you have worked for.
    You might have better ways like a CV, etc. But CV is subject to contests and the easiest and least contestable one are to send in references from previous employers. You can choose not to provide such a letter but for someone that just want to get a VISA smoothly why pick a fight with the immigration department.

And try applying for jobs at the banks or with a public/Government entity. Even after they offer you the job and you have received a VISA, you are expected to submit ALL letter of references from previous employers, unless you can argue that the company has closed down or for any non-compliant reason refuse to issue such a letter.

From >>

Employment - Working Visa - Documentation Checklist - The Hong Kong Visa Handbook

"Employment - Working Visa - Documentation Checklist
    Employment - Working Visa Transcript - for those people who prefer to read, rather than watch, the contents of the Hong kong Visa Handbook, we have prepared the following transcript of the A/V dialogue of our presentation Investment Visa - Preparing Your Case
    Some additional points to note in relation to the employment visa (working visa) document list.

Please ensure that you have all of your graduation certificates, proof of academic qualifications, and testimonials and references on hand from your previous employment. Naturally enough it’s these documents that would substantiate what you claim on your CV and serve to support the special skills, knowledge and experience element of the approvability test. "
    Just to clarify, Immigration would not need a reference letter, rather a statement of service from an ex-employer which doesn't include any kind of qualitative statement. A CV is not proof of employment. In the future, the best thing to do is always ask an employer, at the time of leaving, for a statement of service, if not freely supplied.

Tax statements could also be used to prove employment records.
    MABinPengChau likes this.

A reference letter from the employer in this age of cross check merely means a letter that says "X and X has worked at our company from XXX to YYY". Some would include "Drawing a salary of $$$".

That's what is required by the employer.

If you have been terminated by a company for, e.g. dishonesty, then i am not sure how the company would phrase the letter of reference to you. Or if you have simply bailed out and did not come back to work... where would you get the letter of reference.

I have stated in my first email "if you were terminated due to business retrenchment, its entirely natural..."
    so business retrenchment is fine. but some form of dishonest discharge might not get you the visa.

The reason for leaving doesn't matter. Now if you have a pending criminal charge then that's a whole other story.

A reference letter from the employer in this age of cross check merely means a letter that says "X and X has worked at our company from XXX to YYY". Some would include "Drawing a salary of $$$".

That's what is required by the employer.

If you have been terminated by a company for, e.g. dishonesty, then i am not sure how the company would phrase the letter of reference to you. Or if you have simply bailed out and did not come back to work... where would you get the letter of reference.

I have stated in my first email "if you were terminated due to business retrenchment, its entirely natural..."
    so business retrenchment is fine. but some form of dishonest discharge might not get you the visa.
    A reference letter is a qualitative document. A record of service is merely a statement of time worked, positions held and what most companies now give on separation. Reference letters are very much a thing of the past, most likely as they are very easily faked (I've seen more than a few myself).

Seriously, you believe that Immigration Department are interested in the reason for leaving a job eight years ago? They don't ask, nor do they care why you left a job, they just want to ensure what you have documented on their application form can be supported, same as asking for the academic qualifications. They don't care what your scores were for that either.

OMG please stop freaking out OP over this. OP just do what you can to provide documentation and fill in the gaps as you can when they ask. If you have anything, even tax documents, to show your employment, that will be enough. If you don't and also have nothing you can provide to prove employment for the specific period, tell them. If you have a letter stating your employment but also saying your were fired/terminated/laid off, give them that.
    TheBrit likes this.

the letters these days are called 'terms of reference', short formed reference letter.
    a qualitative letter describing the person is called a testimony.

at least that's the understanding i have from finance and banking sector. maybe you have different interpretation.

I agree immigration is not interested to know why you left your job, as long as you left on good terms.
    i have stated earlier, as long as you didn't bail out wrongly its fine. Recall the girl that bailed out on a day job with the police department? that's exactly what you are going to expect in this age of credential sensitivity.

BTW. my current boss is one of those employer that will definitely get an employee visa approved, probably regardless of any characteristic of the person they trying to hire. Even then they asked me for the reference letter from all the previous employer for both their internal background check and immigration visa application.

correct myself, not called terms of reference. but just normally quoted as reference letter with the employer.
    anyway just for the benefit of others, when you leave any job please make sure you collect a letter that states your working period there and you left amicably.. these letters will be needed in future for visa or new employment. don't just walk away from a job regardless how unfairly you were treated.

the letters these days are called 'terms of reference', short formed reference letter.
    a qualitative letter describing the person is called a testimony.

at least that's the understanding i have from finance and banking sector. maybe you have different interpretation.

I agree immigration is not interested to know why you left your job, as long as you left on good terms.
    i have stated earlier, as long as you didn't bail out wrongly its fine. Recall the girl that bailed out on a day job with the police department? that's exactly what you are going to expect in this age of credential sensitivity.

BTW. my current boss is one of those employer that will definitely get an employee visa approved, probably regardless of any characteristic of the person they trying to hire. Even then they asked me for the reference letter from all the previous employer for both their internal background check and immigration visa application.

when you leave any job please make sure you collect a letter that states your working period there and you left amicably.. these letters will be needed in future for visa or new employment. don't just walk away from a job regardless how unfairly you were treated.
    Lol, you are kind of obsessed with this letter aren’t you? I have never shown any letter from any previous employer to obtain a visa or another job, What on earth would this letter be usefull for? To show that you worked somewhere for X years and did bugger all? There are many other ways to track an employment history if needed.
    TheBrit likes this.