Like Tree19Likes

Terminated in 2010 - New Job & Work Visa?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Terminated in 2010 - New Job & Work Visa?

Hi all.
    i was working in Hong kong in 2010 with a valid work permit for 2 years. then after 03 months, i was terminated. i joined and i immediately returned to my home country. now im looking at a new opportunity after about 08 years and id like to know if there will be any visa issues when my new employer applies the work permit for me. thanks for your reply in advance.

no there won't be any issue. As long as you have the correct qualification you will be fine.

It also depends what type of work we are talking about. I've hear helpers being refused visa after their employer terminated them and provided really negative feedback to immigration.

Otherwise there shouldnt be any problems

shri likes this.

Hi plutark, thanks for your reply. I worked as a senior merchandiser and now I’m looking for a Director position. Other aspects are all ok and I’m only worried about the termination I had 08 years back.

depends on why u were terminated also. because you do need to get a reference letter from the companies that terminated you.
    if you were terminated due to business retrenchment, its entirely natural...

What happened to you 8 years ago has nothing to do with the upcoming Visa application, as long as you have the qualifications, its a job that a local cant do, salary is not low then you will be alright.

TheBrit, shri and Gayan1016 like this.

Original Post Deleted
    I am sure when you submit your VISA application you attached a series of 'proof of service' letter to the visa so that can be processed easily. Those letters are also used for employer to cross reference check your previous credential. I know i have sent them all three times i applied for a VISA in hk.

If you have a missing letter in between because you bailed out on an employer, i am not sure how easy or difficult immigration or your employer will look at that. If you are working for a bank, i am sure that will bounce around a few times until they have absolute certainty there is nothing wrong during that period of time.

I needed employer letters for QMAS but not for regular employment. Even for QMAS, I told them I could not get letters from employers who had gone out of business, got taken over, etc. Some employment was 30 years ago...

TheBrit likes this.

Technically they do have the right to request proof of employment in previous positions.

In the Guidebook they state: "Photocopy of proof of academic qualifications and relevant work experience".

They haven't insisted on that for any of my applications for several years now but there were instances in the past. It may be related to lack of academic qualifications and therefore requiring more work experience proof, or other reasons, I never really analysed what was behind the request.

I think best advice is if you have them, get them ready. If you don't have anything to prove declared previous employment, don't fret yet. Most companies give a record of service, with no mention of reason for leaving or specific performance information, which is really all they want. As others have said, they do not need to know you were terminated, resigned or walked off the job, only the period of the employment and position(s) held.

MABinPengChau likes this.

I needed a letter stating that employment has ended-which simply I provided a letter from my employer indicating the employment dates. I suspect because you can not have approval to work for two companies at the same time. I know part time can but still requires a letter from the sponsoring employer saying it's ok.

I highly doubt that you can cold turkey change jobs mid visa without any letter and get it approved without further questions. If you cannot get the letter, I also imagine the employee could write a resignation letter and submit that to immigration.

Given the visa is expired then I suspect immigration can see that and perhaps a visa application could be approved without asking for any letters.

Original Post Deleted
    As fiona has quoted, proof of experience is best discharged by submitting references from companies that you have worked for.
    You might have better ways like a CV, etc. But CV is subject to contests and the easiest and least contestable one are to send in references from previous employers. You can choose not to provide such a letter but for someone that just want to get a VISA smoothly why pick a fight with the immigration department.

And try applying for jobs at the banks or with a public/Government entity. Even after they offer you the job and you have received a VISA, you are expected to submit ALL letter of references from previous employers, unless you can argue that the company has closed down or for any non-compliant reason refuse to issue such a letter.

From >>

Employment - Working Visa - Documentation Checklist - The Hong Kong Visa Handbook

"Employment - Working Visa - Documentation Checklist
    Employment - Working Visa Transcript - for those people who prefer to read, rather than watch, the contents of the Hong kong Visa Handbook, we have prepared the following transcript of the A/V dialogue of our presentation Investment Visa - Preparing Your Case
    Some additional points to note in relation to the employment visa (working visa) document list.

Please ensure that you have all of your graduation certificates, proof of academic qualifications, and testimonials and references on hand from your previous employment. Naturally enough it’s these documents that would substantiate what you claim on your CV and serve to support the special skills, knowledge and experience element of the approvability test. "

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast