Dependent Visa to Permanent Residency Status

Dependent Visa to Permanent Residency Status

Hello all,

I have applied for my PR status and my application is still in progress. In the meantime, my Dependent Visa is about to expire on the 27th. Normally, a person would apply for extension of stay but in my case I am divorced, so cannot do this.

I phoned Immigration and they told me I would need to go to Macau and come back as a visitor until my PR has gone through. So, my question is, do I need to go on the date of the 27th? Or on the 28th?

Has anyone had any experience with this? I just obviously do not want to be here illegally and have it affect my PR.

Thanks in advance!

If your visa expires on the 27th, I suspect you'd need to leave on the 27th.

On the 28th, you'd technically be overstaying your dependent visa?

When did you submit your PR application, and when did you hit the 7 years for PR? I'd call immigration again and ask for an update.

Surprised by that "visa run" suggestion from Immigration... do you not need to work in Hong Kong? You can not work while on visitor visa. And can't the Immigration issue some sort of temporary visa - even if it is a visitor's - without making you (pay for the trip to) go to Macau?

This is interesting for future reference so I hope the OP comes back to confirm. In theory, if the 7 year date has passed already, the OP already meets the requirements for PR which will be confirmed when they interview so the short period as a "visitor" will have effectively become moot as the PR will be dated from the application/7-year anniversary date. You just need to do the visa run to keep the computer happy I guess and maybe ImmD think this is the easiest way to handle it.

Alternatively, also in theory, if the 27th is the 7 year anniversary then being a visitor on 28th should be problematic as you really should have a valid visa when you apply (which can only be dated after the 7 years, even if you submit early).

Of course, it could be that the officer that answered looked at the information and thought it was ok and there is a little more leniency with this being a divorced dependant visa. (My son was born in HK but did his first 9 months as a visitor due to travel and passport timings and that was not a problem as far as ImmD was concerned as his own PR was granted for his 7th birthday).

It could of course be the answer was wrong (maybe it wasn't an officer), so I'd get it in writing first. I suggest going to ImmD on 26 or 27, get written confirmation before you leave to be safe.

ImmD do make the odd computer mistake, my daughter was flagged by the airport immigration computer as an overstayer despite her being PR for 2 years and having been in and out of the airport 4 times during that time. (I guess officers saw it but didn't bother to fix it).

To be safe just go to Macao for the day on the 26th or sooner and you will be fine, assuming you have been ‘ordinarily residing’ in HK for a minimum of seven years on that day.

A-K

Hii

Hi Tamlex, just want to know if your PR application is approved as I am in same boat now.

With 2x quarantine ; That would be a 28 day round-trip wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones:
    To be safe just go to Macao for the day on the 26th or sooner and you will be fine, assuming you have been �ordinarily residing� in HK for a minimum of seven years on that day.

This was a Pre- Covid-19 thread..never mind.

I couldn't delete my post

Quote Originally Posted by Fei88:
    With 2x quarantine ; That would be a 28 day round-trip wouldn't it?