Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pin
  • 1 Post By big_panda

Registered Foreign Lawyer application

Closed Thread

Smile Registered Foreign Lawyer application

Hi folks,

Any lawyers on here who had to apply to be admitted as a Registered Foreign Lawyer in HK? If so, how long did it take for you to receive the certification from the date of application please?

I ask as I understand that the RFL certificate is a condition precedent to getting the visa from immigration so unfortunately the whole visa process (which I understand usually takes 4-6 weeks) appears to be insufferably elongated as a result. I have been advised by HR that on submitting the two applications, I should expect the whole process (ie to first get the RFL certificate and then for immigration to grant the visa) to take 8-12 weeks.

Many thanks for your responses.

Not true. RFL cert can follow.

Last edited by pin; 04-07-2018 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks @pin. Dunno - this is what HR has told me.

Am I correct in thinking that the RFL certificate is a mere formality to obtain? In that, as long as you are registered in another jurisdiction (E&W in my case), the HK Law Society simply registers you without questioning it (e.g. the reasons as to why you are moving to HK, whether you're a good enough candidate to be admitted etc (no reason why I think I wouldn't meet this threshold, but just trying to gauge the levels of risk involved in this falling through)? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Londoner4057:
    Thanks @pin. Dunno - this is what HR has told me.

Am I correct in thinking that the RFL certificate is a mere formality to obtain? In that, as long as you are registered in another jurisdiction (E&W in my case), the HK Law Society simply registers you without questioning it (e.g. the reasons as to why you are moving to HK, whether you're a good enough candidate to be admitted etc (no reason why I think I wouldn't meet this threshold, but just trying to gauge the levels of risk involved in this falling through)? Thanks
    Nothing to worry about. In pretty much most cases the RFL cert is applied for after you have joined the firm (i.e. you've got your visa and you have already started working).
    Londoner4057 likes this.

For your RFL application, you will need to provide a certificate of goodstanding for each jurisdiction you are admitted. Suggest you start applying for these first if you dont want any lag time. Your firm should reimburse you.

Londoner4057 likes this.