Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HK_Katherine

Am I a dual national?

Closed Thread

Am I a dual national?

I am a British Born Chinese with a British passport. I have a permanent HKID card through my parents.

I don't have a HKSAR passport.

This is a job for UK.

So am I dual national? The question says 'have you ever held more than one nationality' and then the date held.

Citizenship and nationality are two diff things.

you are not a chinese citizen if you dont have a chinese passport. you maybe eligible to become a chinese citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by westcat:
    I don't have a HKSAR passport.

So am I dual national?
    NO you are NOT a dual national as you only hold a BRITISH PASSPORT.

Not a dual national. But you did have two British nationalities - British Citizen (ie UK British) and BDTC / BNO (ie HK British) nationalities. That's how you got your permanent HK ID card, by being a HK British national by descent.

It depends on your circumstances, perhaps you are a Chinese national ( see Chinese nationality law)
    however, if you fulfill the law's criteria you will have to prove it to HK immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    NO you are NOT a dual national as you only hold a BRITISH PASSPORT.
    This is BS. You don't need to hold a passport to have a nationality. See Boris' - he was a US national and citizen until he renounced his citizenship explicitly. China might very well consider OP a Chinese national.

This is for a job I understand. Not an application for a passport or a visa.

Unless the job is to be a politician (in which case some countries can be extremely strict on nationality - see the fiasco in Australia for example) most "normal" jobs are looking for a "normal" answer - which is how many passports do you have or could reasonably have without any effort? Sounds like one to me.

Last edited by HK_Katherine; 24-07-2018 at 02:02 PM.
    Kiz likes this.