Like Tree37Likes

Child of a British Citizen by descent - UK citizenship

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Same thing happened to the child of my brother (British, born in HK, parents UK nationals) and his wife (Italian, born in HK, parents Italian and UK nationals). Their son, born in HK, could not get British passport, but his wife got him an Italian passport.

chuckster007 and shri like this.

If my daughter in law gets a medical visa and gives birth in UK would that entitle the the baby to British citizenship on account of my son being Brititby descent?

Quote Originally Posted by angie11:
    If my daughter in law gets a medical visa and gives birth in UK would that entitle the the baby to British citizenship on account of my son being Brititby descent?
    Do remember that as a non-resident the cost of giving birth in the NHS is 100% charged. Your son will need to check with his insurer if he has one that they will cover a trip for his wife in late stage pregnancy, which is unlikely.

I read that it's 150% charged - my friend said going private can be cheaper

Also my daughter in law gave birth without a medical visa - is that ok? and would the baby still get UK citizenship
    We realise that we will have to pay full medical costs.
    Does anyone have any idea how much a hopefully straightforward birth with predate and aftercare would cost?

You need to understand that the UK government are opposed to giving away citizenship rights freely. They don't even give them to freely to people who are actually citizens. The medical visa you speak of would not be given to a pregnant woman to allow her to give birth in the UK, it is only for private medical consultations / treatment not available in your own country, not for getting citizenship rights by the back door.

So, if the plan is to enter on a tourist visa and then give birth, you will be questioned by immigration if your daughter-in-law is visibly pregnant. She will need a return ticket that shows she is leaving before she gives birth at the very least.

I am a full British citizen as is my son apart from the fact he was born in HK.We are not trying to do anything"by the back door" just asking for advice

HowardCoombs likes this.

I read that getting the medical visa was the correct way to go about it?
    Maybe will ask British Embassy

Original Post Deleted
    Another poster says this way wouldn't be allowed so not sure what to believe?

Quote Originally Posted by angie11:
    I am a full British citizen as is my son apart from the fact he was born in HK.We are not trying to do anything"by the back door" just asking for advice
    Please do ask the British consulate for their opinion, and report back on whether they are ok with giving a non-UK citizen a visa specifically for the purpose of giving birth in UK so her unborn child can acquire UK citizenship.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast