Like Tree53Likes

HK Smart ID Card Replacement Exercise

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Quick update.

- Appointment date - 04/05. Replacement ID card pick up 15/05. You have to show up with your ID card (and cards of the person you're picking for) and return those to the IMMD and they give you your new card(s).

Painless and took about 15-20 mins on a Sat morning @ 10:30.

Plenty of seating and it was not crowded at all, everyone seemed to be in a very good mood. No clue how moods / waits fluctuate as the day progresses.
    Thanks for this Shri, my year call up starts on 3rd June, I was wondering if I would have the new card before I leave on 30th for summer, looks like I might make it if I book as soon as the bookings open.

Same here, I got mine and went with my mum in March. Surprisingly painless experience for government agencies.

Took about 10 minutes to fill in the details for both of us on the website and booked an appointment time. Went to the Mongkok one on Saturday morning, and had to queue a couple of times for the different processes, but there was either no wait or just 1 number in front. The person helping us take the photo was actually very friendly and polite even taking time to answer my mum's questions or tell her where to find more information.

Overall this process took about 20 minutes (even with my mum asking questions).

Went back 2 weeks later to pick up the new ones and we were in and out in just 10 minutes.

I think they did really well to stagger the different age groups and to also have people booking appointment times so its very smooth and efficient.

shri likes this.

Thanks for Shri's update. 10 working days does seem pretty fast. I thought it used to be 15 days, if I had remembered correctly. Still, I wonder if I have to stay in HK for 10 days, or can I go abroad in between 10 days.

It's because I go to China and Vietnam often for business.

Last edited by Hyperionhtp; 07-05-2019 at 02:13 AM.

Sounded like you keep the old one until you pick up the new one?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperionhtp:
    Thanks for Shri's update. 10 working days does seem pretty fast. I thought it used to be 15 days, if I had remembered correctly. Still, I wonder if I have to stay in HK for 10 days, or can I go abroad in between 10 days.

It's because I go to China and Vietnam often for business.
    You can. You're given a 1 month window to pick up your ID card. Mine is 15/05 - 17/06. Your current ID card is valid till you pick up your new one.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Sounded like you keep the old one until you pick up the new one?
    Yes, you swap the old one when you go in to collect your new one (which you can do from a machine if you like).

Picked up the card my card and had to use the counter since I was picking up for a second person. Took all of 10 mins (around 2PM) to pick up.

Did not see anyone use the automated machine to pick up their card while I was waiting.

Overall painless process and well organised by IMMD.

HK_Katherine likes this.

I just booked my appointment for next week.

Went today - in and out in well under 20 minutes.

shri, emx, Drunken Master and 2 others like this.

I took longer than 20 mins - for some reason they have great difficulty with my fingerprints!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast