Like Tree61Likes

HK Smart ID Card Replacement Exercise

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

HK Smart ID Card Replacement Exercise

Move to replace old Hong Kong ID cards kicks in with launch of nine registration centres across city
    ...the application would take about 30 minutes. “People can collect their new ID card at the collection counters or self-service collection kiosks at the centres after about 10 working days.”
    Replacements will be done according to the year of birth for holders... those born in 1985 and 1986 can go to the centres between January 21 and March 30 next year.
    Under the Registration of Persons Ordinance, anyone without a reasonable excuse and who fails to apply for a new card within the specified call-up period can be fined up to HK$5,000
    The venues are located in nine districts – Kwun Tong, Mong Kok, Tseung Kwan O, Wan Chai, Tsuen Wan, Sha Tin, Sheung Shui, Tuen Mun and Yuen Long.
    Read more about the new HKID design: https://geoexpat.com/forum/342/thread346206.html

Original Post Deleted
    Really weird, or am I missing something. Schedule starts with year born 85 to 86 then jumps to if you were born in 66.
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Made a note in my calendar ... phase 3. This time I plan on getting shit done on time.

And here is the official Online Appointment Booking link:

https://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immi...wicbooking.htm

Exciting.

There's nothing that gets the heart racing more than a new freshly minted credential.

Will we be contacted or notified? My other half and I aren't due for years...

Will not be contacted

Quick update.

- Booked my appointment online a couple of weeks ago.
    - You can take an elderly person, either friend or family with you.

If you would like to bring along family members or friends who have attained the age of 65 or above in 2019 (i.e. year of birth of 1954 or before), you may make an appointment for up to 3 applicants, including yourself.
    - You can prefill your contact details for yourself and the person you take with you online. The form seems a bit buggered as I could not enter my details, but could do that for the person I took with me.
    - You get an email with a QR code on it which you scan when you arrive at the center. The automated machine gives you a reference slip with a number that they display on a monitor.
    - Wait was about 5 minutes from printing the slip
    - Initial verification of ID card and finger prints / photo taking / form checking took about 5-7 mins.
    - You are then given your reference number and forms back and asked to wait in another queue.
    - This time around the wait was 3-4 mins. The person handling the second check was obviously a more senior officer and took the finger prints again and verified the forms. I had a form to pick up my friend's ID card on their behalf and he verified with my friend that they'd consented to this and sign off on it.
    - Appointment date - 04/05. Replacement ID card pick up 15/05. You have to show up with your ID card (and cards of the person you're picking for) and return those to the IMMD and they give you your new card(s). The pick up window is 1 month, mine is 15/05-17/06.

Painless and took about 15-20 mins on a Sat morning @ 10:30.

Plenty of seating and it was not crowded at all, everyone seemed to be in a very good mood. No clue how moods / waits fluctuate as the day progresses.
    Last edited by shri; 07-05-2019 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Quick update.

- Appointment date - 04/05. Replacement ID card pick up 15/05. You have to show up with your ID card (and cards of the person you're picking for) and return those to the IMMD and they give you your new card(s).

Painless and took about 15-20 mins on a Sat morning @ 10:30.

Plenty of seating and it was not crowded at all, everyone seemed to be in a very good mood. No clue how moods / waits fluctuate as the day progresses.
    Thanks for this Shri, my year call up starts on 3rd June, I was wondering if I would have the new card before I leave on 30th for summer, looks like I might make it if I book as soon as the bookings open.

Same here, I got mine and went with my mum in March. Surprisingly painless experience for government agencies.

Took about 10 minutes to fill in the details for both of us on the website and booked an appointment time. Went to the Mongkok one on Saturday morning, and had to queue a couple of times for the different processes, but there was either no wait or just 1 number in front. The person helping us take the photo was actually very friendly and polite even taking time to answer my mum's questions or tell her where to find more information.

Overall this process took about 20 minutes (even with my mum asking questions).

Went back 2 weeks later to pick up the new ones and we were in and out in just 10 minutes.

I think they did really well to stagger the different age groups and to also have people booking appointment times so its very smooth and efficient.

shri likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast