Like Tree49Likes

Permanent Residence Application

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ierand:
    Hello everyone again. Some more details regarding my application. So from mid-August I will need to start my study at university, however I have 2 months notice period to my company. If I tell them now, I guess it is not a problem, however I still need my company to extend my visa next week... I guess the process will take another 2-3 weeks. So the earliest I can get visa is around mid-July.

If i tell my company I am leaving mid-July, then I will have to pay 1 month payment to shorten my notice period (cannot combine study and work for 1 month, maybe just take AL during last week). What I am thinking is to tell my company that I am leaving right after I apply for visa, so I will not have to pay that 1 month. Is there a chance that my company will withdraw application for visa OR tell Immigration Department that I am leaving? I think if Immigration Department will know about my departure while my application is in progress, then bye bye to my extension. Though my company also needs my visa extension, since I need to serve that 2 months... Did someone experienced similar cases?

Also, since it is IANG visa, believe that the university cannot extend it, It must an employment.
    Where will you be studying? If it's in Hong Kong, you will need a visa for that too? Which I think can count towards your 7 years for PR?

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Why would they do that if you are leaving them?
    well, i have not told them yet, so they will help to prepare visa documents for me. But after I apply, I believe no need for action from them anymore. So planning to tell the company only after I apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    Where will you be studying? If it's in Hong Kong, you will need a visa for that too? Which I think can count towards your 7 years for PR?
    Going to study in Hong Kong, but I dont want to use Study visa, since highly likely there will be a break between my current visa ends and new study visa starts. Which will destroy my plans to apply for PR in end-August.

Going to study in Hong Kong, but I dont want to use Study visa, since highly likely there will be a break between my current visa ends and new study visa starts. Which will destroy my plans to apply for PR in end-August.
    In that case I think you just need to suck it up and buy yourself out of your notice period with your employer, or negotiate to any accrued annual leave during your notice period (I'm not sure of the legal position on that). I wouldn't resign until your visa extension has been approved - a huge risk to take with your PR. It shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks for the visa renewal to be approved and you can apply one month before it expires.
    chuckster007 and shri like this.

What I am thinking is to tell my company that I am leaving right after I apply for visa, so I will not have to pay that 1 month. Is there a chance that my company will withdraw application for visa OR tell Immigration Department that I am leaving?
    Basically do you have good relationship with your company, with the HR department, and are they likely to get pissed off with you and upset if you resign as soon as they have given you the letter for you to extend your employment visa? Of course this is a huge risk, if they notify immigration dept before the visa extension is approved then you are screwed. So I definitely wouldn't do this and give myself the extra stress. But only you know how your company and in particular the HR person is going to act after you pull this stunt on them.
    Beanieskis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Basically do you have good relationship with your company, with the HR department, and are they likely to get pissed off with you and upset if you resign as soon as they have given you the letter for you to extend your employment visa? Of course this is a huge risk, if they notify immigration dept before the visa extension is approved then you are screwed. So I definitely wouldn't do this and give myself the extra stress. But only you know how your company and in particular the HR person is going to act after you pull this stunt on them.
    yeah, HR would be a problem... feel like they would play by the rules and I think the company has to notify Immigration Department as soon as they know that I am leaving (not sure about that part though, that is actually my question, whether company has any motivation to talk to Immigration). My boss is aware of my situation, but I doubt she or even our director can influence HR.

yeah, HR would be a problem... feel like they would play by the rules and I think the company has to notify Immigration Department as soon as they know that I am leaving (not sure about that part though, that is actually my question, whether company has any motivation to talk to Immigration). My boss is aware of my situation, but I doubt she or even our director can influence HR.
    Strongly recommend you to transfer your employment visa to student visa, otherwise, even not sure if your university would take you in. There won't be any gap if you apply now and resign in August...
    Beanieskis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cuihua:
    Strongly recommend you to transfer your employment visa to student visa, otherwise, even not sure if your university would take you in. There won't be any gap if you apply now and resign in August...
    in my case, it is not an employment visa. If it is, then for sure my visa/ HKID would be cancelled out and I would need a student visa. My current visa is an extension of IANG (non-local graduate in Hong Kong). As far as I know, I can change my employment/quit without my visa being cancelled. Just when I extend IANG, I need company and not university.

in my case, it is not an employment visa. If it is, then for sure my visa/ HKID would be cancelled out and I would need a student visa. My current visa is an extension of IANG (non-local graduate in Hong Kong). As far as I know, I can change my employment/quit without my visa being cancelled. Just when I extend IANG, I need company and not university.
    Are you allowed to study in Hong Kong institution under IANG? Or you need a student visa?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast