Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By kma88
  • 1 Post By Fei88

Permanent Residency

Closed Thread

Permanent Residency

Morning all,

I’ve been given a opportunity to leave HK 5 years and 2 months into my continuous service. The relocation time limit is relatively flexibile , meaning I could work part time between both countries for a year or two while remaining HK domicile to achieve the continuous 7 years.

Looking into the HK legistrstion it seems unclear on this matter, using the term “ordinally resident” to describe the persons requirement to be in Hong Kong for 7 years to earn the right to abode.

I’ve not found any further restrictions to this matter however , like the UK, I presume there would be a maximum days allowed outside of HK per calendar year?

In a ideal scenario I would like to work the remaining year in HK, with a few short visits to NY (<10 days) , and next year work on a 50/50 basis between the two. Appreciate 50/50 may be to much to achieve continuous status but I can’t find a clear government statement that confirms this.

Any help appreciated

The definition is in the Application for Eligibility for the Right of Abode (ROP145a) guidance notes. ROP 145 asks for explanation of any absences more than 6 months.

https://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/rop145a.pdf

Personally, I like HK too much, I would not leave HK early. I would stay and get the PR, but if you are the type to always work then doesn't matter. If you are more entrepreneurial then staying in HK to get your PR would be beneficial and offer you more freedom should you decide to come back.

Is this a company transfer? If so, just ask your company to structure the overseas employment in the form of a 3 year overseas job posting, and maintain regular visits to HK. The secondment can change to a permanent job after you have secured HK PR.

shri and MandM! like this.

Thanks all.

yes this is a company transfer so will explain my preference.

kmwy66 thanks for the information that’s perfect.

MandM - The intention is to get PR in Hong Kong, trying to find a way to achieve both a move to NY and PR.

Also, I wouldn’t say HK was anymore entrepreneurial than New York. This day and age entrepreneurial is more in the person than location. But I understand your point.

Last edited by marshy104; 10-01-2019 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Typo

Hi

I am in a similar situation try to read my Topic here.

However, if you can satisfy immigration department that you have been sent overseas by a Hongkong employer and you received salary, paid taxes and mpf contributions in HK throughout this period, and if you have been back here few times a year, it should be enough to qualify your application.

marshy104 likes this.