Australian Passport or HRP to China

Closed Thread

Australian Passport or HRP to China

Hi everyone,

I will be leading some high school students to China from Hong Kong and I am wondering if I should use my Australian passport +visa or HKID + Home Return Permit (HRP) to enter.

My concerns are:

1) If I enter with my HRP, will it void my rights for Australian consular assistance?

2) If I enter with my HRP, will it void my travel insurance?

3) Will there be trouble applying for a China visa with my Australian passport if they know that I have a HKID and HRP?

4) If I enter with my Australian passport+visa, will they not allow dual nationality and take away my HRP? or are there other consequences?

Thank you for all your time and help in advance!

Whether you enter with HRP or Australian passport is irrelevant in this aspect. You are a Chinese national and will not have access to foreign consular assistance. You cannot choose your nationality depending on the situation.

Vice versa, even if you enter Australia with your hksar passport, you cannot get Chinese consular assistance.

But these days, even if you were able to get consular assistance if China, I'm not sure if it changes anything.

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongTang:
    Hi everyone,

I will be leading some high school students to China from Hong Kong and I am wondering if I should use my Australian passport +visa or HKID + Home Return Permit (HRP) to enter.

My concerns are:

1) If I enter with my HRP, will it void my rights for Australian consular assistance?
    You don't have any consular rights as you have chosen to live in China ( that includes HK,MC, and de jure TW) as a Chinese national

2) If I enter with my HRP, will it void my travel insurance?
    Probably not, why would it
    3) Will there be trouble applying for a China visa with my Australian passport if they know that I have a HKID and HRP?

You probably won't get a China visa, that's all.

4) If I enter with my Australian passport+visa, will they not allow dual nationality and take away my HRP? or are there other consequences?

They don't allow dual nationality and thus don't recognise your other nationality,
    so they won't ask you to renounce it.

Thank you for all your time and help in advance!
    See insertions