Tax filing question for Non-resident Canadian

Closed Thread

Tax filing question for Non-resident Canadian

Hi guys,

hope you are all doing well.

Have a question regarding Canadian tax filing for my sister, who has been living in Hong Kong for 8 years now.

Here is the situation:
    - she still has Canadian citizenship and Canadian passport.
    - she went back to Hong Kong in 2010, thinking she would come back, but she ended up staying there, she DID NOT declare non-resident status but she wants to do it now.
    - she DID file her taxes in 2010 before she left
    - she does NOT have any properties or assets in Canada, not even a bank account
    - she only renewed her driver license once, which is still in effect, but not health card, so she has no health card.
    - she does NOT have spouse/common law here in Canada
    - she has absolutely NO source of income in Canada.
    - she has been working full-time in Hong Kong all these times and been living with grandma.
    - she has a bank account in Hong Kong and all her income for these past 8 years was from source in Hong Kong

Now what i am wondering is:

- is she considered a non-resident in the eyes of the CRA and immigration? even tho she never declared non-residency when she left?

- if she declares now, will CRA chase her back for any taxes? is her income in Hong Kong taxable?

- She does plan to come back to Canada in the future, but she hasn't "informed" Canada she was non-resident all these times. is it a good idea to declare now? or should she just wait til she wants to come back? suggestions?

thank you so much for the help in advanced!

Regards

She can still declare non-residency by filing a departure tax return for the year that she left. If she was not liable for taxes during that period, there would be no penalties. Although I think she would face penalties for not filing a Form T-1161 List of Properties by an Emigrant of Canada. Obviously, speak to an accountant or tax lawyer for a definitive answer, but this is my understanding as a non-resident Canadian myself.