Like Tree34Likes

Expired Dependent Visa

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Expired Dependent Visa

Hi
    I am a Canadian working in Hong Kong. My wife is a HK Permanent Resident and the sponsor for my dependent Visa.

I realised that my dependant visa is expired when I left Hong Kong for Chinese New Year today.

I am very worried right now because I will not be allowed to work in HK when I come back from the holiday as a visior. What can I do right now to minimize the damage to my career?

Can I apply for an extension of the dependent visa when I am back to Hk?

Last edited by Amoz; 02-02-2019 at 02:37 PM.

Yes, should be fairly easy to get the dependant visa approved once you reenter HK as a visitor.

Would not worry about it, as long as you're not doing anything dodgy.

You can’t work legally when you come back until you get another visa. You will also have to start the seven years again for your own PR.
    To minimize the damage you should apply on Monday for a new visa and not wait until after CNY.

Do I have to quit my job while I apply for the new visa?

I don’t know who your employer is but the best course of action is to tell them the truth and ask for a leave of absence until you’ve sorted the visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary 2:
    You will also have to start the seven years again for your own PR.
    ignore that - PR is based on being ordinarily resident, not your visa. explained absence, e.g. holiday will not affect your PR.
    jrkob, Mrs. Jones, shri and 2 others like this.

do be careful when you go to immigration - Presumably, you are taking paid leave from your employment, therefore, technically you have not stopped work, you are still getting paid on holiday, and that could be interpreted as working without a valid visa, just be careful.

Yes you can go on holiday but if you don’t have a visa to be here then you are by definition not ordinarily resident. Happened to a colleague’s wife who let her dependent visa lapse while she was away for a couple of months. Applied for PR, sorry cannot.

Is there any way to expedite my visa processing given my situation?

Dont sweat it - it happens to a lot of people.
    Go, come back and get a visitor visa on the way back in and dont talk to much. In fact, talk as little as possible.

within a couple of days go to IMMD and get your visa sorted.
    Dont quit your job and dont sweat it. Its a minor issue.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast