Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree9Likes

Dependent Visa for unmarried child aged 18 years old

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    Being already 18 you won't be able to renew your dependent visa the next time anyway. It will be valid as long as it says on it, probably impossible for your parents to cancel it.
    Debatable. Renewals should be granted for above 18 but new visa is not granted, from what I've understood.

Best to check with [email protected]

From their renewal FAQ.

Such applications will be considered only where it is satisfied that the circumstances upon which the applicant acquired his/her current immigration status remain unchanged.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Are you in high school? At 18 you should be completing high school.

At that point, you should be able to apply to Uni and might be eligible for a student visa? Worth checking.
    Yes, I’m still in High School. But they said, if I left them like I will leave on my own my mom would not allow me to stay here in HK and she said she will cancel my visa or HK residency. Is it possible that they can cancel my visa and send me back to my home country? What if I wanna stay, I’m still studying and my chinese friend told me that her mom and she will help me if it happened like they will send me back to my home country. Is there any possibility that those people can help me to stay here in HK and to continue my residency without my sponsor’s help?

1. Your mom CANNOT cancel your visa, only Immigration dept can
    2. Your mom can only STOP your step dad from signing the document to get your NEXT VISA extension.

When does your current visa expire???
    Your friend and his MOM cannot help you unless your friend is a GIRL and you marry her to get your own dependent visa from her lol

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    Assuming he or she can find the finance for that

How about if I will study and I will do part time like that? And my chinese friend’s mom would willing to help me, like that? Could it help me to stay here and continue my HK residency?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    1. Your mom CANNOT cancel your visa, only Immigration dept can
    2. Your mom can only STOP your step dad from signing the document to get your NEXT VISA extension.

When does your current visa expire???
    Your friend and his MOM cannot help you unless your friend is a GIRL and you marry her to get your own dependent visa from her lol

My visa will be expired on April 30 and my friend is a girl. BUT, I’m also a girl.

Your mom beats you and threatens you all the time to send back to your original country and not let you go to school.

If your mom does that because you really piss her off by doing bad things in Hong Kong (e.g. getting into troubles at inside or outside of school, hanging out with not so good friends), I would understand why she would want you go back to your own country or not going to school here even though the beating you up like that part is not right. the best way to solve the problem is to put your life back together and not to piss her off.

If your mom just gets pissed off with no reason and just purely abusive. I am so sorry to hear that and wish you well.

Either case, if your current visa will expire on April 30th, you can renew your dependent visa on April 1st (assuming immigration will let you renew your dependent visa at age 18). If I were you, I would try all that i can to avoid pissing off my mother and hopefully the step dad will renew the visa ( but of course you need to also make sure you are safe). Then I will have at least another year to think what my options are.

Rnbrltgnd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Co Co Nut
    Your mom beats you and threatens you all the time to send back to your original country and not let you go to school.

If your mom does that because you really piss her off by doing bad things in Hong Kong (e.g. getting into troubles at inside or outside of school, hanging out with not so good friends), I would understand why she would want you go back to your own country or not going to school here even though the beating you up like that part is not right. the best way to solve the problem is to put your life back together and not to piss her off.

If your mom just gets pissed off with no reason and just purely abusive. I am so sorry to hear that and wish you well.

Either case, if your current visa will expire on April 30th, you can renew your dependent visa on April 1st (assuming immigration will let you renew your dependent visa at age 18). If I were you, I would try all that i can to avoid pissing off my mother and hopefully the step dad will renew the visa ( but of course you need to also make sure you are safe). Then I will have at least another year to think what my options are.

I appreciated your thoughts and concerns. Anyways, I’m trying not make her mad at me at the moment and I hope I could obtain it. Also just so you know, I don’t hang out with my friends and I don’t do troubles in or out of the school. I have good friends. It’s just my mom don’t like me having friends because she wants me to focus on my siblings. But anyways, okay maybe I’ll try to go with your advice. I just hope that my mom would stop blaming me in everythin, because she often blames me bad things that happens in our life at the moment, even it’s not my fault. But anyways, thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnbrltgnd
    I appreciated your thoughts and concerns. Anyways, I’m trying not make her mad at me at the moment and I hope I could obtain it. Also just so you know, I don’t hang out with my friends and I don’t do troubles in or out of the school. I have good friends. It’s just my mom don’t like me having friends because she wants me to focus on my siblings. But anyways, okay maybe I’ll try to go with your advice. I just hope that my mom would stop blaming me in everythin, because she often blames me bad things that happens in our life at the moment, even it’s not my fault. But anyways, thank you so much.
    I wish I could come up with some wonderful advice to help you but I can't, so I will just give you my best wishes and hope everything sorts itself out. Stay strong and stay safe.
    shri likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2