• 2 Post By jimbo
  • 2 Post By HK_Katherine
  • 1 Post By littlemermaid
  • 1 Post By Fei88
  • 2 Post By hullexile

HK immigration

Closed Thread

HK immigration

I'm applying for my husband's dependent visa, so I've been reading threads about that and saw bunch of people complaining how slow HKIMD works and rude etc.
    Well, my experience with them is that they are actually very efficient and helpful. If you think HKIMD is slow, you are in for a treat in countries like UK, Canada or France. I had experience with visa (in different ways) in these 3 countries.
    I know the dependent visa (family union) to Canada can take a year before they even ask you for an interview. The officers are extremely rude (Don't ask me how but I know many applicants cried during the interview because of the yelling). They also demand that you pass a medical check before the interview.
    What I want to say is the normal time frame of 4-6 weeks here is really not that bad. I know applicants from certain countries can wait up to a year or 1.5 years, but then, these applicants if apply to move to UK for example, will definitely wait even longer.
    And here at least you can call them and check the status online. I once tried to call to inquire some immigration stuff in France, first, you have to pay to call their immigration hotline. After pressing a bunch a numbers, the machine told me I cannot ask any question via phone and must go line up. Go figure.

Not trying to offend anyone here. Just want to vent and share my experience after reading 60+ pages of old posts regarding dependent visa.

shri, Fiona in HKG, jimbo and 3 others like this.

It rather depends whether you are a well - off white person or a poor brown person what type of experience you have here. At least overseas people are equally rude to everyone!

hannah01 and Mrs. Jones like this.

That's not true. UK and France immigration, for example, are way less rude to well-off Americans trying to "get a taste of European life" than yellow, brown and black folks.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    It rather depends whether you are a well - off white person or a poor brown person what type of experience you have here. At least overseas people are equally rude to everyone!
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    My helper has had very good experiences recently....I'm always ready to pounce if needed but she has reported very good interactions recently. Perhaps things are changing.
    HK_Katherine and Mrs. Jones like this.

Didn’t have any problems with mine and my wife’s visa application.

I’m yellow and my wife’s Singaporean.

All went smoothly and minimal interaction with immigration from submission of paperwork etc.

Just make sure you have the correct paperwork and be polite and not chase every few days like some of the posters on here and you’ll be fine.

If somebody was chasing me every few days I’m going to be an absolute nightmare for you by putting you back at the bottom of the pile etc.

Fiona in HKG and chuckster007 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by littlemermaid:
    I'm applying for my husband's dependent visa, so I've been reading threads about that and saw bunch of people complaining how slow HKIMD works and rude etc.
    Well, my experience with them is that they are actually very efficient and helpful. If you think HKIMD is slow, you are in for a treat in countries like UK, Canada or France. I had experience with visa (in different ways) in these 3 countries.
    I know the dependent visa (family union) to Canada can take a year before they even ask you for an interview. The officers are extremely rude (Don't ask me how but I know many applicants cried during the interview because of the yelling). They also demand that you pass a medical check before the interview.
    What I want to say is the normal time frame of 4-6 weeks here is really not that bad. I know applicants from certain countries can wait up to a year or 1.5 years, but then, these applicants if apply to move to UK for example, will definitely wait even longer.
    And here at least you can call them and check the status online. I once tried to call to inquire some immigration stuff in France, first, you have to pay to call their immigration hotline. After pressing a bunch a numbers, the machine told me I cannot ask any question via phone and must go line up. Go figure.

Not trying to offend anyone here. Just want to vent and share my experience after reading 60+ pages of old posts regarding dependent visa.

I will second to that, my brother is working in the UK, and renewal of his work visa took 6 Months. And as applications are done by post without interview that meant having to wait 6 Months without his passport.

My take on Hong Kong immigration is they are efficient and inclusive ; but they are also firm in their process and decisions.

My first round working here I moved to HK with my then girlfriend and she was refused a dependent visa though we tried hard to convince the ImmD.

Then following our marriage a half year later, she was issued a visa right away.

Now going through ROA verification, I am hoping to see their efficient and inclusive side.
    shri likes this.

I may have to take back the efficient part

HongkongTheGreat

Hongkong Immigration officer are very nice.

I would seperate two groups from my experience. Wan Chai tower immigration generally helpful and nice (obviously exceptions), but at the airport not so.

Fiona in HKG and Mrs. Jones like this.