Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jwyl

Are HK Work Visas normally for single or multiple entry?

Closed Thread

Are HK Work Visas normally for single or multiple entry?

Hello everyone,

I have just accepted a job offer in HK and will be moving there soon once I have got my work visa. The problem now is that I only three days after my planned immigration to Hong Kong, I have a business trip abroad planned. I understand that normally I would simply apply for my HK ID card after entering HK and could then use the card to enter and leave HK as I please as long as my visa is valid. However, as I understand it it takes quite a while to get the HK ID Card, so I will not be able to get it before leaving for my business trip.

Therefore, I am wondering whether work visas are normally single entry or multiple entry? Would I be able to leave Hong Kong at all before receiving my HK ID? Information about this on the web are somewhat contradictory, so I am wondering whether someone here might know.

Thanks in advance!

Multiple entry, you can leave and enter HK with just your passport and work visa.

Or if you manage to apply for a HKID in time they just give u a piece of paper to use and you pick up the actual ID after 2 weeks

shri likes this.

Thanks, that is really helpful!

Right now a HKID replacement program is going on and registrars lf persons at immigration is super busy. It would be a good idea to make an appointment in advance if you know when you're going to pick-up your visa. If that's not possible then go early in the morning so that you could be able to get it done ( they have a walk in quota).

When I had to apply my hkid last month, Wanchai immigration was out of Walk in quota by 11:30 and i traveled to immigration office in Kwuntong to get it done.

Once you get the temporary ID PAPER, you can travel. You'll have to wait for the real card to use e-channel though.

Welcome to efficient Hong Kong!

When you enter HK on an employment visa, it is placed in your passport. This will allow you to come and go as you please. There is a legal obligation to get a HKID card within a certain time of landing in HK. But you should be able to leave HK and come back using the employment visa sticker in your passport. Make sure you show it to immigration so you don't get stamped in as a tourist.