Like Tree10Likes

Applying for a GEP visa whilst remaining as a Tourist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Speaking from personal experience: it is indeed more difficult to receive a working visa after having a holiday working/training visa. It is also more difficult to receive a working visa if a previous application has been rejected once. In terms of leaving HK, again, I spoke to an Immigration Officer and was kindly advised by him to leave HK while my visa was processed, especially if you have been in HK on a tourist visa for a while.

This is good to know. Thank you Naatalq

I think you will find that the answer is also dependent on your level. A young person, or a person from a less desirable country, is going to face a harder time than a high paid, white expat banker. So while the latter may get away with anything, the former need to be more mindful. I would leave the country if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    i seriously doubt you have any facts or statistics to back this up. It seems unlikely to me.

This is flat out wrong. The fact there isn't even a type of visa called Tourist gives you a clue. It is perfectly permissible to look for employment while in Hong Kong on a Visitor visa. You can't start a job when on a Visitor visa but there are zero restrictions on looking for employment.
    Less than 3 weeks ago I had 4 immigration officers in my own company office asking me detailed questions during their check up since we had applied for a GEP for an expat.
    Don't ask me why they had to send four for this, but there they were.

One of the questions was whether everyone who had worked for us under a working holiday visa or trainee visa has returned to their country. Our answer was 'yes to the best of our knowledge', answer from immigration officer was 'good, we will check records, will help'

Another question was whether our candidate was in Hong Kong right now and whether he was here visiting while looking for a job with us. Our answer was no which seemed to satisfy the 4 guys.

2 weeks later we got the GEP approved.

Do I have statistics? No. Do I have some practical experience? Yes, I would say so even though it's of course arguable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2