Like Tree10Likes

Applying for a GEP visa whilst remaining as a Tourist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Applying for a GEP visa whilst remaining as a Tourist

Dear all,

I was hoping you can help.

I was on a working holiday visa from August '17 - August '18. Since September '18, I have been on a tourist visa. During my six months here, I have applied for two GEP visa's through two different companies which were both rejected. I am currently applying for a new GEP visa with another company (third time lucky I hope!).

My question is, do you think I should leave Hong Kong during the 4-6 weeks of processing? Do you believe that this will higher my chances of getting accepted? I have been in and out of Hong Kong over the last six months as a tourist, but I have not spend a large amount of time out of the country.

It has been recommended by friends to leave the country for two months, but I am wondering if it is really necessary.

Thank you in advance!

Doesn't matter if you are in or not in HK while applying for GEP. Why were you rejected? Once you have a red flag on your file it would be more difficult to get approved in the future.

Few things here:

Working holiday visas are for people who come to Hong Kong and most importantly go back to their coutries again. Immigration don't like if trainee visa or working holiday visa holders afterwards apply for regular employment visas (doesn't mean they won't get approved, just means more difficult)

Secondly the job you apply for and the reason for rejection is really important. Right now it's near impossible to get working visas for regular jobs in marketing, sales, etc as the argument will always be that a local can do the job (whether we personally agree or disagree with that argument doesn't matter)

The type, size and reputation of your company matters also. Hsbc applying VS a small company makes a huge difference even if everything else is the same.

Lastly when you are on a tourist visa you are not allowed to look for work in Hong Kong, so it is indeed advisable to be out of the country when you make the submission (and for a little before that). Once the application is made, it makes no difference.

Lastly, every rejected visa makes it more difficult to get a working visa approved

+1 on what cookie said.

Shiojiri Hiro likes this.

Thank you for your reply.

The first company I went through was a small business. It go rejected because the company was not making enough profit per year to sustain an expat worker, had no local employees and no office. I would have been their first GEP visa application.

The second company was a business that had been open 30 years, but had no local FULL time staff. I would have been their first GEP visa application.

The company I have applied for next is a consultancy firm which have many local and expat staff. I believe that the chances are much higher, but I am just wondering if it is necessary to leave the country as I have been on a tourist for 6 months now.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09
    Working holiday visas are for people who come to Hong Kong and most importantly go back to their coutries again. Immigration don't like if trainee visa or working holiday visa holders afterwards apply for regular employment visas (doesn't mean they won't get approved, just means more difficult)
    i seriously doubt you have any facts or statistics to back this up. It seems unlikely to me.

Lastly when you are on a tourist visa you are not allowed to look for work in Hong Kong, so it is indeed advisable to be out of the country when you make the submission (and for a little before that). Once the application is made, it makes no difference.
    This is flat out wrong. The fact there isn't even a type of visa called Tourist gives you a clue. It is perfectly permissible to look for employment while in Hong Kong on a Visitor visa. You can't start a job when on a Visitor visa but there are zero restrictions on looking for employment.

Thank you for your reply Cookie.

Yes, I think it makes more sense if I leave the country for two months!!

Thank you The Brit.

Would you recommend me leaving Hong Kong for two months before I apply and whilst the GEP is being processed?

Quote Originally Posted by Natskip1989
    Thank you The Brit.

Would you recommend me leaving Hong Kong for two months before I apply and whilst the GEP is being processed?
    No, I don't think it will make a blind bit of difference.

They look at the company, they look at the job, they look at the recruitment efforts the company has made, they look at the salary offered... they look at your qualifications... these are the main things to be concerned with. I doubt whether you are in HK on a visitor visit or outside of Hong Kong matters at all.
    Natskip1989 likes this.

Ok, but I have heard that they have all of my details on leaving and re-entering the country. On the application form, they ask for the tourist slip expiry date.

Im just not sure if they take that into account also!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast