Non-local Graduates visa - ???

Closed Thread

Non-local Graduates visa - ???

Hey

Has anyone read and understood the terms and conditions of this visa application on the basis of full time study ?

When someone starts talking about degrees, diplomas or higher qualifications I usually get confused !!

According to immi website the rules are the following:

Applicants who have obtained a degree or higher qualification in a full-time and locally accredited programme in Hong Kong may apply/to stay and work in the HKSAR under the 'immigration arrangements for non-local graduates'

Ok, what does that mean ? I take it Unie students can praise themselves in this category! But what about everyone else ? I'm looking here for instance at a 6 month Certificate Program in Cantonese offered by a department of the Chinese University with CUHK Awards .. Anyone reckon that will do the trick ?

Curious to know your thoughts on this ?
    Anyone who has applied for a visa via this scheme ?

Well, I read that to mean a "degree or [higher than a degree] qualification" (ie a PhD, Masters etc). So on that basis, no, a diploma is lower than a degree so would not count.

won't work. Minimum study length would be two years undergrad or Master/PhD degree. Since you have virtually no chance to be admitted to the local 2y associate programs, it is effective 3y undergrad. If you really want to stay and have a degree already, I'd suggest you have a look at the Master's programs - they are plentiful and some (UST's MBA, for example) have quite a good reputation. Alternatively, you might have a look at the (2y) MPhil programs in your field - you have to do research, but you get a studentship (12800) to cover your living expenses (and tuition fees of 21K per semester....).

Oh ok

So, an undergraduate degree will do the trick ?

I'm planning on taking on an undergrad course next year here, so I don't want to find myself in a situation where I won't be able to stay to work afterwards !!

yes, a bachelor degree from any of the local Us will do the trick. These are HKU, CUHK, UST, CityU, PolyU, BaptistU, Lingnan and OpenU. Others tmk not.

you might wanna plan this ahead - I heard getting a place outside the JUPAS system can be a bit of a headache. My grad school application sure was.

Small possibility - they can revoke this policy anytime during your studies of course.