Like Tree17Likes

Exit/Enter HK without passport (only HKID)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Original Post Deleted
    Interesting to note, thanks. We forgot my son's birth certificate before and were pulled aside when exiting. She told us that if we return our son who is PR would enter as a tourist and we'd have to go to immigration to clear the status. When we returned nobody bothered us and we never had to go to immigration.

I guess the OP can just try his luck too or perhaps call/email immigration. They're usually quick to respond.

Am I missing something, but how are you going to enter the country you are travelling to? Maybe you become a new Tom Hanks and will live in the airport for a few years at your destination

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    Am I missing something, but how are you going to enter the country you are travelling to? Maybe you become a new Tom Hanks and will live in the airport for a few years at your destination
    he has another EU country passport that he will carry and use to enter the country that he will travel to, the only thing is that it doesnt have his HK VISA in it

Leaving HK using HKID shouldnt be a problem as long as the names are all the same in all 3 documents (British Passport / EU Passport / HKID card).

I have done this. I have two passports, my HKID is linked to my UK one but I travel on my Australian one. I go in and out of the autogates, and show my passport in the entry etc, and nobody bats an eyelid. One time I could not go through the autogate and had to use the general entry gate and handed over my passport and ID card and told them that it was a different one from the one linked to my ID... they wandered off for a while, came back and it was fine.

Another issue to consider is as well whether the airline will let you board the flight back if you do not have an onward ticket from HK. Last time I flew back from Singapore, they asked me to prove until when my HK visa was valid until (they were looking at the old label). My initial advice still stands, go get the HK visa label in your second passport and you won't have an issue.

When I fly back to HK from usual business trips, in some countries during check in they try to find a HK visa in by British Passport so I always have my HKID card ready and just show them that, they dont even look at the back of the card and they say OK

chingleutsch and greenmark like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    When I fly back to HK from usual business trips, in some countries during check in they try to find a HK visa in by British Passport so I always have my HKID card ready and just show them that, they dont even look at the back of the card and they say OK
    My experience is the same, even before I had permanent ID.

Quote Originally Posted by SannyJ:
    Another issue to consider is as well whether the airline will let you board the flight back if you do not have an onward ticket from HK. Last time I flew back from Singapore, they asked me to prove until when my HK visa was valid until (they were looking at the old label). My initial advice still stands, go get the HK visa label in your second passport and you won't have an issue.
    Rubbish. You just show the airline your HK ID card. Done it many times.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Rubbish. You just show the airline your HK ID card. Done it many times.
    Tell that to my friend who go refused boarding because he lost the landing slip which has the expiry date on it. Had to buy an onward flight to be allowed onto the flight, then get a new visa label at the HKID.

Unless you have a Permanent ID, you need to show the label with the expiry date.

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones:
    Thanks for your reply MandM!...do you know if its possible to bypass the automatic channels? (I’ll also get an exit/entry visa in my EU passport for my destination)
    I flew last week, it was a requirement. I didn't ask to bypass it, I do not think passport is a requirement at this stage per say (the machine had a photo of HKID card and a big red X through it) but the airline will likely require it at the boarding gate anyways.

You could use your EU passport at that first stage. It's just for identity verification I believe. Then use your HKID card at immigration automatic channels.
    Last edited by MandM!; 12-04-2019 at 02:33 PM.