WITH a Non permanent ID:
- use e- channel for immigration clearance,no passport is needed.
- Passport scanners on new e-channel gates are for visitors and Mainland permit holders. As a HK resident you only use your HKID to enter / exit HK.
- AIRLINE check-in : any valid travel document will do. They verify name / and also your landing rights ( visa etc) for your destination.
- airport security : just use your HKID is fine.
* Only risk : in case your HKID fails working at e-channel gates, what are the chances???
In that case, you just approach counters and they will verify your information and still clear you, may take a few minutes like others said.
If you hold permanent ID ; No need to worry about the risk I just mentioned.
- About Airline check in when coming back to Hong Kong ; as long as you hold a passport that has visa free access to HK; THAT'S ALL that airline cares for.