Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 3 Post By Trebor
  • 1 Post By hktraveller
  • 1 Post By Fiona in HKG

Entering Hongkong with Russian Passport

Post Entering Hongkong with Russian Passport

Hi, I am planning on going to Hong Kong on May 1st with my Russian passport as online it says Im allowed to go without Visa for 14 days, I am going there for a internship at a hotel and they already applied for my training visa for me in Hong Kong Kong however they said it will take a few weeks, my first day of my internship is supposed to be at 6th May. They told me that I need to enter Hong Kong with my passport which allows me to stay up to 14 days and on the 5th May(1day before I start my internship and 4 days after I enter Hong Kong) to go to Macau to activate my visa or something like that and then come back, does anybody know if I can do that enter without a tourist visa and my training/work visa is almost ready. What should I do? Is it safe to go?

Technically, you cannot start work/training until your training visa is approved.

No such thing as "almost ready" - it can be approved or denied until it is approved or denied. However, if your employer is a blue-chip / well known hotel chain, then its safe to say that the visa is more likely to be approved than denied.

Yes, you can arrive as a tourist, yes you can get settled into HK and yes you can do a cross border run and activate your training visa.

Only "no" is don't start work, as tempting as it may be - e.g. don't suit up and man the reception desk on a tourist visa.

s.jade likes this.

Okay thanks a lot but is it safe to go without a actual tourist visa and just with my passport(Russian) that has maximum 14 days allowance, and yes its a very well known hotel chain

@s.jade - no clue how it would work for a russian passport. I suspect your HR department knows better and I would defer to them if I were you.

When you enter, Immigration will know you've got a pending training visa application and may have some additional questions for you.

Seriously would consider the guidance from your employers if they're a well known hotel chain.

Well I did email my hotel and they told me that yes I can enter just with my Russian passport on 1st May and then I will exit Hong Kong and re-enter HK on the 5th May in order to activate my training visa and she also told me that a 14 days visitor visa will be enough for my stay in Hong Kong, I am just worried about the immigration office I have no idea if thats even allowed and I booked my plane ticket to exit HK on the 30th September(after 5 months, when my training period is over) and just hope that wouldnt create a problem

Its allowed, many people do it.

Dont worry.

hullexile, Morrison and s.jade like this.

Immigraion wise I don'tsee a problem. But checking in may be if you don't have an onward ticket within the 2 weeks.

s.jade likes this.

So long as you are not working, you are free to visit HK while another visa is being processed.

Then you exit HK, place the visa label in your passport and re-enter HK. Your label will be stamped with 'Journey Completed' and that means the start date of your employment in HK.

Please defer all questions back to your HR Department as they may have information on your visa issue that you won't have access to, as your sponsor.

Good luck and enjoy the training.

s.jade likes this.