Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MandM!

impending PR application questions

Closed Thread

impending PR application questions

Hi all,

Infrequent poster but have found this forum very helpful and would appreciate some advice on my upcoming PR application as I'll be hitting seven years very soon. Feels like just yesterday I arrived in HK, but there you go.

*I'm technically up for PR June 1 but have heard you can in practice apply one month before the effective date, on the understanding Immigration won't actually 'act' on the application until that date (though it still speeds things up a little). Is this still the case? A couple of things I read suggested applying even a month or less 'early' now gets you nothing but a response advising you're not yet eligible and to try again later.

*I'll be away for a big chunk of the summer and am due to fly out June 28 - assuming my application is timely is there a good shot of approval and having my new HKID in hand before I go? My current visa is valid until 2021 so guess it's not an issue either way but have heard about needing to be in town and able to show up at immigration for various aspects of the PR process, and wouldn't want to create any setbacks.

Many thanks.

I got my PR a few weeks ago, you need to be in HK for the Photo and collection of the temporary Permenant ID Card (same visit). THe final ID card will then be ready to pick up around 2 weeks later.

I think the application process for mine was pretty much bang on 4 weeks before i got the letter to make the appointment. So 6 weeks from submitting the application to having the permanent ID card on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by sonhouse:
    *I'm technically up for PR June 1 but have heard you can in practice apply one month before the effective date, on the understanding Immigration won't actually 'act' on the application until that date (though it still speeds things up a little). Is this still the case?
    Yes.

*I'll be away for a big chunk of the summer and am due to fly out June 28 - assuming my application is timely is there a good shot of approval and having my new HKID in hand before I go?
    They will send you a letter asking for an interview, which you can change the date online.

But if you are lucky you may get it done before you depart for summer.

You can submit online one month before, there will be a followup form to fill out if submitted online (their online system doesn't allow submitting all of the necessary forms).

As the above poster mentioned you can change the appointment date. I changed mine to earlier. If you are flexible you can get in rather quickly.

Also apply for your HKID card appointment to be 30 minutes after your PR appointment (they will accept you early). Go 10 minutes early to the PR appointment.

Or if you are very good then make your HKID card appointment before your PR appointment. Go queue up to grab a number for the HKID card and then go to handle your PR and come back. The HKID card is slow. I think I waited almost 2hrs whereas the PR was 2 minutes.

BCD likes this.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond - will put the application in later this week and see what happens!