Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrgoodkat

Long-Term Visa for Chinese Spouse

Long-Term Visa for Chinese Spouse

Oh wise and wonderful GeoExpat Visa Experts:

I will be eligible for PR in six months. Yeah.

My mainland wife has some reluctance to give up her Shenzhen residency given how difficult it is to get.

Does anyone know if there is a long-term spousal visa / dependant visa available to PR holders? Or do they have to take PR as well?

All help appreciated.

From what I understand is that a PR holder cannot sponsor a PRC national on a dependant visa, which is why it is recommended not to take up the PR option if you have a PRC spouse. Her only option after you obtain PR, would be to go down the one way permit path. Alternatively, if you do not take up PR, you can sponsor her on a regular dependant visa.

Thanks for the reply. That is unfortunate. I would like PR so I'm not tied to a company for a visa. I have some convincing to do...

If you are PR you can only sponsor your wife with a one-way permit. There is a waiting list and once she has received approval to move to HK she must relinquish her mainland Hukou. Until she receives the one-way permit she has to get a 3 months family visa from the entry and exit bureau in Shenzhen. This won't allow her to work in HK and will be printed on her two-way permit card.

If you are not a PR your wife can get sponsored as a dependent on your working visa. This will give her the right to live AND work in HK and she will only have to relinquish her Shenzhen Hukou when she applies for PR herself in 7 years. You can not become PR until then or you won't be able to sponsor her anymore.

chuckster007 likes this.

Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    If you are PR you can only sponsor your wife with a one-way permit. There is a waiting list and once she has received approval to move to HK she must relinquish her mainland Hukou. Until she receives the one-way permit she has to get a 3 months family visa from the entry and exit bureau in Shenzhen. This won't allow her to work in HK and will be printed on her two-way permit card.
    This is not correct.
    Your wife can still get a dependent visa after you get PR, as long as you previously sponsored her for dependent visa before you got your PR.