Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lighthse003

Permanent Resident Status > Right to land - HKID card

Post Permanent Resident Status > Right to land - HKID card

Hello everyone,

It has been a while since I moved away from Hong Kong and according to Hong Kong immigration, a Permanent Resident Status will be downgraded to a Right to land status after 36 months away from HK. My question is will I still be able to keep my HKID card once my status is downgraded from Permanent to Right to land / Right to abode? I would assume the answer is yes since it on the back of my HKID card says "the holder of this card has the right of abode in Hong Kong", but it also states "permanent identity card" on the front, it would be great with clarification.

Many thanks!

36 months away from HK, Non Chinese HKPR->RTL Your HKID card will be still be valid until the current ID card replacement scheme ends. Your actual status may have been changed. Holding a HK Permanent ID card with "the holder of this card has the right of abode in Hong Kong" does not always mean current HKPR status for non Chinese nationals. You will still have the same ID card number after ROA is downgraded to RTL.

shri likes this.

Many thanks for the reply, it might save me a 24-hour flight back and forth to HK just for this so it is much appreciated for sure

I will be renewing my HKID in 2021 and at this time I will get an R (RTL) letter ID card instead of my current A (RTA) card as I understand it. Do you know if I will be given an "RTL card" even if I am not currently residing in HK or is residency a must to obtain the HKID card? As I understand it, it will be optional for me to apply for a card, but of course, the card has good benefits to have.