Like Tree9Likes

Applying for Hong Kong citizenship for son (born in US)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I think the guide isn't that difficult is it? If you were working in the US on a working visa or there as a tourist and only hold HK and PRC citizenship your son will be a HK citizen. If you have a green card he mostly likely won't be. You can always go and ask the HK government. They have an office in Beijing.

https://www.bjo.gov.hk/en/home/index.html

Just get the China bit sorted out, and then in 28 years from now (when your son is 29), HK disappears and becomes mainland China so this whole issue will be pointless in the long run. Everything's sweet, sit back and relax, no need waste time on this.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

If your son has been issued the "China Travel Document", that means the he has been recognized as a Chinese national by the Chinese consulate in the US (hence not eligible for a visa). So yes he should be able to get permanent HKID and HKSAR passport. And he is currently living in China as a Chinese national.

The "China Travel Document" can be used to leave and re-enter mainland China within its 2-year validity. Effectively it is a temporary PRC passport. So your son does not need to get the Home Return Permit before the China Travel Document expires. Your son can enter HK with his US passport or even the China Travel Document (but maybe only for stopover, need to check)

You have the choice of either getting your son a hukou from your wife's hukou city, or HK permanent residency. Most likely you will choose the later. You can even try to see if you can get away from getting both.

You can try applying directly for the HKSAR passport and permanent HKID at the HK Govt Office in Beijing. Or just apply for these when he is in HK,

Last edited by kma88; 19-06-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tlctlc:
    we are not in hk, you need to be present in HK during the time you file an application.

Also, need to figure out how he can leave mainland to Hong Kong and come back.
    On his US passport.
    shri likes this.

Just checked. You can only renew HKSAR passport in the mainland, your son needs to come to HK to apply for the first HKSAR passport.

https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/service/...ndservice.html

thanks kma88, you are godly.

Hey KMA88,

Getting away with both would be a challenge (I want to of course)

I went Hukou place this afternoon and was told that once your son goes to HK (with permit given by China GongAn) they revoke your Hukou immediately.

I think the only way to get away with it is go back to US, use US passport to enter HK, get HK passport, go back to US with US passport and re-enter China with China travel document?

My biggest mistake was entering mainland China from US right away, should have detoured to HK first, sigh...

what is the benefit of your son keeping Hukou??

social welfare such as healthcare within mainland China.

Healthcare for HK citizens within mainland China is troublesome.

btw, kma88, one key question I left out, since my son is recognized as Chinese national, will he still need to go through process of ROP145 before applying for HK ID + passport?