Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree9Likes

Applying for Hong Kong citizenship for son (born in US)

ROP 145 is more about ROA in HK, not about Chinese nationality.
    Yer son will be eligible for ROA because he is a Chinese national with a parent from HK.

You could use ROP 145 or , as others have frequently mentioned here, apply through the Chinese embassy
    wherever you live abroad. No idea how it works when in China. You could ask 香港驻北京办事处

shri likes this.

I believe the HK ImmD would still need to go thru its own evaluation on your son's Chinese nationality. So be prepared to bring the same proofs - ie you and your wife's immigration status in the US when your son was born.

Re hukou, I don't have any experience on this. But I believe your son would only lose his hukou if he applies for a "One Way Permit" to leave China / enter HK. If he comes here any other way he does not lose his hukou. Before the China Travel Document expires he can leave/enter China with this. After the China Travel Document expires it probably becomes more troublesome. Then every time he travels he needs to apply for a 3 month exit/entry permit as he is not eligible for a ordinary PRC passport with his dual nationality, and the China Travel Document can only be applied from a consulate outside China.

Again I am not totally sure about the hukou info. You should check it yourself.

imparanoic likes this.

If you are going to be settled in the mainland for a while, one option I can think of is this:

Apply for hukou and not claim your HK PR. Only claim HK PR (and lose the hukou) when your son decides to settle in HK permanently. With his background, he can always claim his HK PR later, eg. even when he is 25. The only thing I am not sure is if there is a easy way for him to travel in & out of China with his dual nationality after the China Travel Document expires.

surely it's rather pointless claiming for your son's hokou if it compromises his entitled hkid card, if he gets a one way permit, that's pain in the butt, every 3 months have to go to place where it was issued for renewal for 5 years, especially for medical entitlement, buying private medical insurance from a reputable company would be a better option.

on the other hand, if he is entitled for HKid card, why not apply for it as it should affect his US passport.

I would apply for HK ID and passport asap.
    Things might change very quickly

imparanoic likes this.

Thank you everyone, so helpful! I am going to call immigration this afternoon to figure out future details.

All this fuss about getting HKID is because my son can't attend international school in mainland China anymore cause he possesses China Travel Document instead of China visa on stamp, even if I am HK ID holder.

I also don't know what other schools (better ones) can take him, so I am kind of anxious.
    @Morrison, do you live in mainland China, you seem very familiar with policies and trends!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3