Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cookie09

Accepting a second job offer, after having already accepted the first offer - visa transfer process/timeline?

Reply
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    11

    Accepting a second job offer, after having already accepted the first offer - visa transfer process/timeline?

    Suppose I accept "Job Offer A", and then initiate the process to transfer the visa from my current employer to Employer A.

    If I was to receive a Job Offer B with Employer B, and I accept it and then decline Offer A, what happens from a work visa transfer perspective and timeline? Would I have to wait until the visa is transferred to Employer A, then initiate the visa transfer from Employer A to Employer B? This would push back my start date by a number of weeks

    Do I need to tell Employer B that I already have a visa process underway with Employer A?

    ---

    Currently, I have a verbal offer from Employer A, and the written contract should follow soon.

    I've also got a final round interview coming up with Employer B, and even though I already told them I'm at the offer stage for A, they have been very slow throughout the whole process so I don't think I will be able to stall Employer A until B comes out with an offer (if I even get one).

    I'll try to stall A as much as possible, but I'm inclined to accept A, but then decline it and accept B (my preferred destination), if I'm successful with B.

    Does anyone have experience in the above situation?


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    394

    You need to give some color on what industry, what kind of company and role etc. For example in finance some firms will rescind your offer if they know you reneged, especially at the more junior levels.


  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,188
    Quote Originally Posted by el_tornado
    Suppose I accept "Job Offer A", and then initiate the process to transfer the visa from my current employer to Employer A.

    If I was to receive a Job Offer B with Employer B, and I accept it and then decline Offer A, what happens from a work visa transfer perspective and timeline? Would I have to wait until the visa is transferred to Employer A, then initiate the visa transfer from Employer A to Employer B? This would push back my start date by a number of weeks

    Do I need to tell Employer B that I already have a visa process underway with Employer A?

    ---

    Currently, I have a verbal offer from Employer A, and the written contract should follow soon.

    I've also got a final round interview coming up with Employer B, and even though I already told them I'm at the offer stage for A, they have been very slow throughout the whole process so I don't think I will be able to stall Employer A until B comes out with an offer (if I even get one).

    I'll try to stall A as much as possible, but I'm inclined to accept A, but then decline it and accept B (my preferred destination), if I'm successful with B.

    Does anyone have experience in the above situation?
    Don't accept an offer if you are not going through with it, not happy with it, or contemplating another offer. That is a big no no. Be a responsible adult.

    Visa wise, you could withdraw one application and file a new one.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,254
    Quote Originally Posted by el_tornado
    Suppose I accept "Job Offer A", and then initiate the process to transfer the visa from my current employer to Employer A.

    If I was to receive a Job Offer B with Employer B, and I accept it and then decline Offer A, what happens from a work visa transfer perspective and timeline? Would I have to wait until the visa is transferred to Employer A, then initiate the visa transfer from Employer A to Employer B? This would push back my start date by a number of weeks

    Do I need to tell Employer B that I already have a visa process underway with Employer A?

    ---

    Currently, I have a verbal offer from Employer A, and the written contract should follow soon.

    I've also got a final round interview coming up with Employer B, and even though I already told them I'm at the offer stage for A, they have been very slow throughout the whole process so I don't think I will be able to stall Employer A until B comes out with an offer (if I even get one).

    I'll try to stall A as much as possible, but I'm inclined to accept A, but then decline it and accept B (my preferred destination), if I'm successful with B.

    Does anyone have experience in the above situation?
    Moralistic crap aside that you will get from some posters, there is no such thing as a visa transfer. Every employer makes a visa application and they all look the same per se. It’s just that once you have been employed for a while in HK, the IMD is easier to approve your visa application.

    If you can’t stall, accept A and then accept B if and when it comes through. You don’t need to do anything on the visa, let the employers sort that out - which they will do inherently
    shri likes this.