will my work visa get approved?

Reply
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    61

    will my work visa get approved?

    I just received an offer from a US high tech company that has an Asia operations located in HK. The position is for a senior fin analyst, and the salary is 32500 HKD per month.

    I am afraid (maybe too paranoid) that the work visa will get rejected, especially during these hard times (a lot of people losing jobs, etc)

    are my chances good?

    I know that the company needs to sponsor my visa, but I think my boss is looking for an agency that can help process my application. Anyone know of a good one? I think he was quoted 20K HKD by one, is this reasonable?

    Thanks for any inputs!


  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong, from UK
    Posts
    3,705

    If you are qualified (at least a bachelor's degree) and experienced (at least a couple of years' professional work in the field) and don't have any big negatives (e.g. criminal record or previous immigration issues) there's no particular reason why you should be refused - and you certainly shouldn't be thinking of spending $20k on an agency!

    I have no idea if immigration change their policies when the conditions of the labour market change. I would doubt it though, without a specific change in government policy...


  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    23,217

    It did become harder to get visas during the SARS downturn (and remember that they changed the rules to stop Dependants working for a couple of years), but no evidence of that so far.

    Visa applications are really very straight forward. If you have the capability to do senior-level financial analysis then you should be able to get you head round a visa application!


  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    If you are qualified (at least a bachelor's degree) and experienced (at least a couple of years' professional work in the field) and don't have any big negatives (e.g. criminal record or previous immigration issues) there's no particular reason why you should be refused - and you certainly shouldn't be thinking of spending $20k on an agency!

    I have no idea if immigration change their policies when the conditions of the labour market change. I would doubt it though, without a specific change in government policy...
    yes I have both bachelors and masters, with 3 years of work experience.

    So the company can apply by itself, instead of going through an agency?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    23,217

    It is you who applies for the Visa - the employer is your sponsor.

    Read: http://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/ID(E)991.pdf
    Then you fill in this form: http://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/ID990A.pdf
    And your sponsoring company fills in this form: http://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/ID990B.pdf

    And you each supply the necessary supporting documentation.

    It's a very easy process.


  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    It is you who applies for the Visa - the employer is your sponsor.

    Read: http://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/ID(E)991.pdf
    Then you fill in this form: http://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/ID990A.pdf
    And your sponsoring company fills in this form: http://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/ID990B.pdf

    And you each supply the necessary supporting documentation.

    It's a very easy process.
    Thank you very much! I sent this info to my future employer. I am sure that it will help!!

    Approx, how long does the approval process take? is 1 month sufficient?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    23,217

    It depends whether your employer has sponsored people on Employment Visas before. If they have then in some cases it has been possible to push new ones through in 2 weeks, but 4 is more normal. For companies that haven't sponsored before then 4 weeks is unlikely - 6 to 8 is more normal. And that assumes that you submit all the requested paperwork first time. Don't just ignore items - if you do that ImmD will simply write and ask for them, adding 2 weeks to the process each time.


  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,418
    Quote Originally Posted by henryhg:
    Thank you very much! I sent this info to my future employer. I am sure that it will help!!

    Approx, how long does the approval process take? is 1 month sufficient?
    We work on about 6 weeks for the ones we submit.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong, from UK
    Posts
    3,705
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    We work on about 6 weeks for the ones we submit.
    On the other hand, if your employer has a personal contact at immigration, all the paperwork is in order, and there are no queries, it's possible - in practice - to push through an application in a week or so.

    I'd say 4-6 weeks is a reasonable timescale to expect.