Dependant Visa for opposite-sex civil partnership

Closed Thread

Talking Dependant Visa for opposite-sex civil partnership

Hi there,

For a sponsor who is a Hong Kong permanent resident or a resident who is not subject to a limit of stay (i.e. a resident with the right to land or on unconditional stay), the following dependants may apply to join him/her for residence in the HKSAR:
    • (i) his/her spouse; or
      (ii) the other party to a same-sex civil partnership, same-sex civil union, “same-sex marriage”, opposite-sex civil partnership or opposite-sex civil union entered into by him/her in accordance with the local law in force of the place of celebration and with such status being legally and officially recognised by the local authorities of the place of celebrationNote 3; and
    • his/her unmarried dependent children under the age of 18;. and
    • his/her parent aged 60 or above.

An application for admission of a dependant may be favourably considered if:
    • there is reasonable proof of a genuine relationship between the applicant and the sponsor;
    • there is no known record to the detriment of the applicant; and
    • the sponsor is able to support the dependant's living at a standard well above the subsistence level and provide him/her with suitable accommodation in the HKSAR.

Amazing news post QT v Director of Immigration for same-sex marriage; re the above quote from HK Immigration website, I do have some questions regarding the 'opposite-sex civil partnership'. What exactly is regarded as 'opposite-sex civil partnership'? Does it mean a heterosexual relationship between cohabiting individuals that is not legally married? Also, what type of 'reasonable proof of a genuine relationship between the applicant and the sponsor" can be provided besides marriage certificate? Would photos together over the years suffice (I have read someone suggested and provided this in another thread)?

For context, partner just moved here for work and have been dating for about 3 years now. Have lived together for 2 years in malaysia prior to the move. He is on employment visa sponsored by his company. Wondering if I am eligible for a dependant visa. Any info on this would be much appreciated, thanks!

Hi, that guidance isn't written very clearly, but the key is "status being legally and officially recognised by the local authorities of the place of celebration" – i.e. it's only talking about the official civil unions some countries have that are similar to marriage.