Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrgoodkat

Change of name on HKID/replace HKID card while living abroad

Closed Thread

Question Change of name on HKID/replace HKID card while living abroad

I need to change my name on the permanent HKID to my married name. I applied via the Register of Persons website and got an appointment date where i will come and present the evidence and pay the new card fee.

I live abroad and I cannot stay 7 working days to wait for my new HKID card, so I would like to understand the process in this case. Do I need to render my existing HKID card at the interview? Do I get anything back from the officer which I can use to exit HK Immigration at the airport?

I understand that I can appoint another person to collect the new card on my behalf (this was stated on the email from the ROP) but I would like to make the whole thing clear - based on what document I Ieave Hong Kong and through which channel.

I plan to have the HKID card sent to me from Hong Kong upon collection.

Don't know about the name change scheme. With the current ID card replacement exercise, you get to keep your ID and swap it when the new one is ready.

Again, this might be different as you are changing names and they might issue you a temp ID like the old days.

Regardless, if you don't have your ID with you when you exit HK, you can still leave via the manned HK resident gate.. no big deal.

You will get a paper ID which you can use to exit. You must have someone pick up the ID card within the date specified on the paper though, or it will be thrown away and you'll have to apply again. The person collecting your ID will need that paper ID in addition to the authorization form. You can leave HK with a copy of the paper ID and your passport at one of the manned gates, it will just take a bit longer.

Khema likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    You will get a paper ID which you can use to exit. You must have someone pick up the ID card within the date specified on the paper though, or it will be thrown away and you'll have to apply again. The person collecting your ID will need that paper ID in addition to the authorization form. You can leave HK with a copy of the paper ID and your passport at one of the manned gates, it will just take a bit longer.
    More importantly, you must authorize the pickup at the time of your application in person, as I recall.