Like Tree14Likes

Uk passport but have a China Return home card but no china passport

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    Then show the UK passport. It doesn't matter, China immigration isn't going to force him to renounce his UK citizenship and this likely isn't the first time he has seen this.

I am in the same situation, UK passport, HRP and HKID, no china or HK passport. I fly in and out of China a lot and I've had to show my UK passport exactly once at immigration, he looked at it, looked at my HRP and sent me on my way.

Do you travel from UK to China and they have never asked to see your UK passport and only your HRP?

Quote Originally Posted by dcheng93:
    I will be travelling from the uk to munich(connection flight) then to shanghai. I assume when I leave Munich I will also show my uk passport and HRP too?

The only worry is that at Shanghai side they will ask to see my passport too? But if I show them my HRP is there any reason why they want to see my passport too?

Is there e channel in Pudong Airport that I could enter immigration via this way therefore no passport will be required at all?
    1. You will only show your HRP at UK check in counter as they will want to see your China visa before they issue you a bording pass. you will not need to show anything at Munich as its a connecting flight unless you are planning on staying in Munich for a few days. only thing you will show is passport and boarding pass to verify that it is you that is boarding the plane

2. Not sure why you are afraid of being asked to show your UK passport, China doesnt care of your UK passport, you are a Chinese citizen as you are holding a HRP, they can take you away while in China and the British Consulate cant do dick about it, so dont worry and dont do anything to piss of the Chinese Govt

3. cant remember if they have echannel but i think they do for registered foriegn passport, not sure about HRP's. just line up with Chinese citizens, should be fast.

Thanks Chuckstar007.

Just been told by many people that just show your HRP and not your uk passport as they might question how I got a HRP as a uk passport holder which might open a can of worms. I assume the immigration part all ends up the same regardless of international or national flights coming in to Pudong airport? (not sure if you know already or not)

As I said before, immigration knows that there is a passenger with UK passport and HR permit, and that it's you. So if you are so afraid then better don't go.
    Secondly, to use an echannel at mainland airport you must register your permit first,
    used to be possible only in Shenzhen at certain checkpoints.
    And even then it depends on the carrier, Air China works smoothly, with other airlines you still have to walk up to the immigration counter. I was told it has to do with data transmission

Quote Originally Posted by hongkong7:
    ... do not reveal your uk passport to mainland authority as dual nationality is not allowed by China mainland ...
    Does it make any difference if you hold a UK passport with BN(O) status?

Quote Originally Posted by orang:
    Does it make any difference if you hold a UK passport with BN(O) status?
    Sorry mate that one I don't know : I did learn from other post on this thread it makes quite a different if your Chinese by virtue mainland or by virtue Hong Kong : see above thread

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    ... the airline will ask for your passport....
    Do they also ask for valid Chinese visa/permit etc? Do they generally understand the HRP is intended for its holder to travel to China (when you travel from the UK to China)?

Quote Originally Posted by orang:
    Do they also ask for valid Chinese visa/permit etc? Do they generally understand the HRP is intended for its holder to travel to China (when you travel from the UK to China)?
    Yes.
    Usually, yes, very well informed, once showed them my HK passport and they asked for the permit.
    That was impressive

It's written on the permit.
    orang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    ...It's written on the permit.
    Is it written in the previous version as well?

Since the permit is good for 10 years it's on all valid versions now, not on the older ones

orang likes this.