Hong Kong dependent visa and US passport renewal

Hong Kong dependent visa and US passport renewal

Hello everyone,

I just got my dependent visa for Hong Kong thro my husband (work visa for him). After i got the entry visa, I realized that my US passport only had 1-2 visa pages remaining. So I applied for a renewal and the passport came with a new number.
    So my question is if I should apply the visa on my new passport or is it tied to the old passport number? Or should I wait till I arrive and ask the immigration officer which passport to stick the visa at?

Any insight into the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Pree

Stick the Visa in the old passport and just carry both when you enter. After the first entry into HK, you will no longer need you old passport with the visa since you will have a HKID (apply for it). Once you have your HKID you can enter hk and exist with just that. Also it doesnt matter much as the 1st visa we all get is only 1 year and the 2nd and thereafter is two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Miaofromcali
    Stick the Visa in the old passport and just carry both when you enter. After the first entry into HK, you will no longer need you old passport with the visa since you will have a HKID (apply for it). Once you have your HKID you can enter hk and exist with just that. Also it doesnt matter much as the 1st visa we all get is only 1 year and the 2nd and thereafter is two years.
    A minor correction, if later travelling back to HK on the return leg of a flight booked from HK, you should carry the old passport if that has your visa/first permission to remain until DDMMYYYY stamp in it. The airline will need to know that you are allowed to end your journey in HK before you can board your flight, a non-Permanent HKID isn't sufficient for this.

You can also pay a small fee to have your visa label endorsed in your new passport if needed

https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/estoe.html

ok- that seems like a good idea. Thank you Stickyears.

ok- will look into it.Thank you Junichitsuyo.

To everyone- an update of what happened in case anyone has the same question in the future-
    We decided to ask the immigration officer where to stick the entry visa. He checked both the passports and asked us to put it on the new passport thankfully. SO will make future travels a bit easier.