Like Tree6Likes

Dependent / long term visa for widowed mother

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInHK
    Need more info
    1. Have you paid up you tax bill ?
    2. How old is your mother ? Above 61 years ?
    2. What amount is your income , monthly pay AND how many other dependant have you sponsored ... e.g. spouse, children ?

Sad to say, HK immigration has become much more hard nosed, they are making judgement on whether the sponsor ( you) can AFFORD to pay for the expenses.
    So if u already have a spouse dependant.... then a parent dependant would not be granted, unless you can show bank statements with plenty assets and $$
    One way for HK Immigration to test your finance is to see the tax return. Since you only moved 1 year ago.... then most likely your tax matters are still outstanding.

Visitors visa are much easier to handle if and when the sponsor gets laid off / fired.
    Yes my first year tax has been filed but since I moved late in the financial year, I didn't have a liability. I work as an AVP in an international bank and reasonably prove financial capability. I have 2 dependents. My mother is 61.

If you want to apply again, then you need to carefully consider:

1. You have only Filed your tax, and you have not paid any $ to the HK government yet.
    So you may need to wait until you have actually paid up your Salaries tax and Provisional Tax in full and have the Tax RECEIPT. Sadly only Tax filing is not sufficient as the HK government cannot verify that you have PAID your tax.
    The requirements from the Immigration website are quite clear :
    Photocopy of proof of the sponsor's financial standing, e.g. bank statements, savings accounts passbooks, tax receipts and salary slips

2. The officer is correct ... the guidelines only allow for dependant PARENT for : ...
    a sponsor who is a Hong Kong permanent resident or a resident who is not subject to a limit of stay (i.e. a resident with the right to land or on unconditional stay)

Sadly , you are not. Your stay does have a limit.
    Others who are similar to your situation that got a dependent without PR.... is because they have less number of dependents.
    You already have 2 dependents.... if include this application, then you would end up with 3 dependents; the question comes : can you afford ?

Assume your salary at 70k per month... it now supports 3 people (yourself + 2 dependent) so "expenses" are approximately 70k/3 = 23k each person
    If you have one more .... it needs to support 4 people so 70k/4 = 17k each person .... which is less than 20k. It is quite low for hong kong; and the financial capability would be questioned by Immigration.
    To be able to "sponsor" 3 dependents plus yourself.... looking at around 23k x 4 = 92k and your salary needs to be almost 100k per month.

Quote Originally Posted by ravi669
    The officer keeps quoting that the guidelines don't allow, even though I know someone personally who was in my situation and still got a dependent visa without being a PR.
    Do you suggest I apply again if this one doesn't go through?

Thanks for the reply!
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shafiq
    Not sure if one can take parents as Domestic Help? You can ask the Immigration or try applying about this.
    Probably not, hiring a domestic helper has a "bona fide" requirement. I'm sure pretending to hire a relative breaches that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcresident011
    Yes, write an letter to them with a bit of sentiments and keep reiterating why it is important.
    I did write emotional covering letters about how this will break my family etc... didnt work..

Thanks everybody for replying! The immigration officer refused the visa, but allowed me to withdraw the application so that an official visa rejection doesn't come on record.

hongkong7, shri and LifeInHK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ravi669
    Thanks everybody for replying! The immigration officer refused the visa, but allowed me to withdraw the application so that an official visa rejection doesn't come on record.
    Thanks the update and commiserations: useful info for those of us in similar situation

The prolonged visitor visa will allow her to remain in HK and you can renew it every 6 months without her having to leave. However, no ID card so no health cover.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2