Do you need a physical copy of your social security card to renew US passport at the consulate?

Do you need a physical copy of your social security card to renew US passport at the consulate?

It's my day of stupid immigration-related questions.

The American Citizen Services section of the US Consulate website lists "social security card" as a needed item for in-person application requirements to renew your US passport. This makes no sense as having the number is enough to renew by mail (you put the number on the application).

When you call, they say to e-mail (which I did) but probably faster and more reliable info here. Last time I renewed (2010) I don't think I had the card. I mean, mostly it's not something you need and is a flimsy piece of paper that gets destroyed in your wallet. Mine is probably somewhere in the US and there is now some lifetime cap of the number of replacement cards you can get.

If anyone has renewed at the consulate recently and could let me know, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Wow, they just replied by e-mail- surprised as I thought the e-mail was going to the State Dept which means at least a day as the answer would come from the US.

So, the answer is no, of course you don't need the card. So it's misleading to list it on the website- just say "number" and not "card."

OK, feel free to now delete this pointless thread...

FWIW for others reading this thread, the US Passport, even expired, is often all you need instead of a birth certificate, SScard, or other identification document. Sometimes people even have drivers licenses that have the SSN on it too.