• 2 Post By Plutark
  • 1 Post By shafiq
  • 2 Post By Fei88
  • 1 Post By Trebor

Enquiry about my temporary and frequent absence from Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Enquiry about my temporary and frequent absence from Hong Kong

Hi Guys,

If it is not too much trouble, I would like to ask you one question regarding my application for PR in Hong Kong.

The thing is: I spent 5 years in HK getting my undergrad and master degree in an University and am now under employment of the same university as a research associate for a professor. The contract is 2 years and I have not been experienced any gap during my stay in HK. Taxes and MPF are also paid on time.

The contract involves a great deal of overseas data collection and I have to travel outside Hong Kong from time to time. Normally, I go overseas to UK and other countries from Feb to June, stay in HK in July and August, and go overseas again from Sep to Dec. Come back to HK during Christmas and Jan.

That is, I do not spend over continuous period of six months outside HK, but the cumulative time may be over 6 months. My two-year contract allows me to legally stay in HK for full 7 years. But I do not know whether this amount of absence would prevent me from getting the PR.

Many thanks for your kind attention and highly appreciated!

as long as you're not out of the country for more than a continuous 6 month period you are fine. They will just ask you to tick the box. I was out for like 4 month and they did not ask anything. Lot of business people constantly travel outside of HK so it's no big deal.

snape1035 and hannah01 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by snape1035:
    Hi Guys,

If it is not too much trouble, I would like to ask you one question regarding my application for PR in Hong Kong.

The thing is: I spent 5 years in HK getting my undergrad and master degree in an University and am now under employment of the same university as a research associate for a professor. The contract is 2 years and I have not been experienced any gap during my stay in HK. Taxes and MPF are also paid on time.

The contract involves a great deal of overseas data collection and I have to travel outside Hong Kong from time to time. Normally, I go overseas to UK and other countries from Feb to June, stay in HK in July and August, and go overseas again from Sep to Dec. Come back to HK during Christmas and Jan.

That is, I do not spend over continuous period of six months outside HK, but the cumulative time may be over 6 months. My two-year contract allows me to legally stay in HK for full 7 years. But I do not know whether this amount of absence would prevent me from getting the PR.

Many thanks for your kind attention and highly appreciated!
    It wont be an issue. As per immigration ordinance, you wont cease to be an ordinary resident due to temporary absence, if you are employed by HK company and have a appropriate visa.
    snape1035 likes this.

Just dont let your absence be continuously over 180 days.

In my case the first 2 years of my residence, I was based in China for work and literally came to HK 3 times a year for a few days only. I did pay taxes and mpf and my visas were back to back. Then i Moved to HK.

At year 7, no questions were even asked.

You could still be fine should you be away from hk During the 7 years for over 6 Months. But then you would need to explain in detail why you were away etc.

snape1035 and shri like this.

Many thanks Fei. Am looking for someone who has experienced the similar situation. Very helpful!

Just submit your tax receipts with your application, that's all i did. I doubt they will even look at your ins and outs if you do that.

snape1035 likes this.