Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By Kiran2285

Can dependent Spouse continue to work and stay in HK?

Closed Thread

Can dependent Spouse continue to work and stay in HK?

I am from India, currently on a work permit sponsored by my company valid till end of May 2020. My spouse has joined me on dependent visa which is
    valid till June 2020 and has got contract job here in HK.

Now due to project requirements I am being moved back to India in end of Feb 2020 and my employer will cancel my work visa once I reach India.

Can my wife continue to stay and work in HK till her dependent visa is valid which we would like to do or does she have to travel back to India with me as my work visa will get cancelled and she will be no longer eligible to work here.

Both of you can stay, live and work in HK till your visa runs out, Your employer cannot cancel the visa that is in your passport already, they can only inform Immigration so the answer to your main question is YES your wife can stay and work until June 2020.

The answer above is correct; I encountered a similar issue and validated it with HK Immigration Department just a few weeks ago

Good luck!

Thank you for the help Chuckster007 & rkenia852.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran2285:
    Thank you for the help Chuckster007 & rkenia852.
    Needless to say, best to send Immd an email ( [email protected] ) and confirm that this is valid. An email from IMMD is worth a lot more than a print out of the forum replies.
    rkenia852 likes this.

Thanks Shri, Does the email to IMMD need to contain all details such as our HK Ids and our company details, or it can be a generic query.

@Kiran2285:
    Generic query should be fine. Should you hear a different response than the one enconsced in the forum replies, kindly do share!

You can also walk up to the Info Counter at L3 @ Immigration Department in Wan Chai. They are helpful and offer you the right advice in my experience..

Thanks rkenia852, I did get a reply from IMMD.. posting it here so that others can refer to it as well.

" In general, if a person ceased the employment with the company, he/she should leave HK as soon as possible as his/her condition had changed. If he/she has to settle his/her personal affairs or for any personal reason he/she cannot depart right away, he/she may stay until the last day of the visa validity subject to the condition that he/she shall not take up any other employment, whether paid or unpaid, without approval of or unless further approved by the Director of Immigration. On the other hand, non-permanent residents such as those on "student', "employment", "training" of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, irrespective of their nationality and type of travel document held, do not require a re-entry visa to enter Hong Kong provided that they return within their valid limit of stay and that the circumstances upon which they have acquired their residential status remain unchanged.

In other words, you and your dependants may stay and travel in & out of Hong Kong within your current limit of stay granted if there is no restrictions or conditions stated on visa labels. Dependants may work or study during their existing limit of stay in Hong Kong. If visa label shows that there is no specific condition of stay but only the limit of stay (till xx-xx-xxxx), and there is no endorsement with a condition of stay that "Employment is not permitted", the holder of the dependant visa label is lawfully employable during the permitted limit of stay."

rkenia852 likes this.