Like Tree4Likes

Thai lady arrested for visa violation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    @SamPat, was your Thai friend residing in HK legally ? She was working illegally yes, but under what document was she actually staying in HK ? It does matter as far as her fate is concerned. Also, what kind of work ?

Regarding how to find your friend. I've been in this situation before, I contacted the Correctional Service Department to know where was the person I wanted to visit (I knew he was incarcerated) but they declined to tell me in which facility he was because of The Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance. I got his location from his wife.
    @jrkob Yes, she was on a visitor's visa working illegally in HK but she had only been in HK a few days.

I think if deported, no reentry for "x" number of years but can apply to visit after that time...

Quote Originally Posted by SamPat
    Yes but for privacy reasons the Thai Consulate would not tell me where she is located. There are two main holding facilities/prisons. Last week I sent a simple letter to each one with her name on the front for her to contact me. No guarantee it will be delivered without a "PIC number" attached to the name though. Previously we communicated via WeChat, FB etc so ironically she probably doesn't have my phone number.
    You could offer to fund her return, though they will still want a court hearing I am sure and at the moment that is unlikely to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SamPat
    on a visitor's visa working illegally in HK
    jrkob, shri and Plutark like this.

From what I heard, she gets one month in jail until sent back to her country. Can't remember how many years she will get blacklisted from coming back to HK but should be somewhere around 3 years.
    Working on a tourist visa sounds more like a working girl, police isn't going to be nice about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark
    From what I heard, she gets one month in jail until sent back to her country. Can't remember how many years she will get blacklisted from coming back to HK but should be somewhere around 3 years.
    Working on a tourist visa sounds more like a working girl, police isn't going to be nice about it.
    Not always. I know of someone who was sentenced to a year. The bar owner was not punished for employing her.

The advantage of being arrested right now is between all the arrests for the protests, and the present coronovirus crisis, they just want you gone, prisons will soon be overrun by protesters. So my guess is that they will just deport her pretty soon (before Thailand won't accept anyone who has been anywhere in China, including HK). She wasn't working for years or forged documents or anything, for people doing it for longer or with forged or stolen HK IDs, seems to be a bigger deal (from the case posted above).

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    Not always. I know of someone who was sentenced to a year. The bar owner was not punished for employing her.
    the bar owners tend to have tacit agreement with Asia's finest, as long as they pay their protection money they're all good.
    hullexile likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2