Like Tree35Likes

Activating a Visa During Quarantine / Border Closures

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Original Post:
    Hey, I still haven't managed to activate my visa, but I have made some progress towards it at least. Go to floor 24 of the immigration office with your reference number and ask them for the contact details of your case officer. Contact your case officer and tell them about your situation, and they should suggest that you can apply to have your visa activated in office. You will need to submit some documents but I don't know if it's the same for everyone. In my case, I had to submit a letter explaining why I needed it activated, a letter from an employer saying why I needed it activated, and an employment contract.
    Hi,

I went to the Immigration Tower last week and tried to activate my work visa too.

However, my activation request came to no avail. As the officer explained that, I am currently on tourist visa and due to to my status as a tourist they said I am not allowed to activate my visa in Hong Kong and that I have to leave Hong Kong and return in order to activate it.

Just wondering, what kind of things do we have to state in our letter?

Thanks
    cloroxbleach likes this.

Never underestimate the power of kissing ass when dealing with the HK government. You just need to be sincere and respectful in your letter and make clear that if you leave HK then you will be quarantined and that will cause you problems (obvious, I know). Address the letter to your case officer.

You get much better treatment at immigration if you are assertive but "respectful" in the way they like e.g. addressing them as "sir/ma'am" and groveling when necessary.

Last edited by jlw90; 12-05-2020 at 11:05 PM.
    chuckster007 likes this.

In the letter you have to explain why you can't activate your visa by exiting Hong Kong and why you need it activated there at the immigration office.

I wouldn't bother directly asking the immigration officers about activating the visa. I was turned away about 3 times, then the next time I came, I just asked for my case officer's details. Your case officer is the one who will help you.

Hey all, thanks for your help. Getting my visa activated on Monday 😁

Cornmeal and vmlinuz like this.

Wait, what did you do to get it activated so quickly? I'm just wondering because they've got me going through this drawn out process to activate it, whereas it seems pretty easy for some others? :/

Hey, mine was drawn out too. Went to immigration in first and was told no, I have to leave and re-enter twice, but stood my ground and then the guy explained I could call my case officer and they might be able to help. They gave me her details. Called on Monday, she didn't want to seem to help at first but explained my situation and then she said I could write her a letter of personal appeal and get my sponsoring company to write a letter of urgency as to why I needed to start ASAP. Sent those both via email and they called my company the next day with an appointment for Monday.

kohakuriver and chuckster007 like this.

Do anyone able to activate work visa in Hong Kong from tourist visa?

Hi all
    my employment activation expires in 5 weeks.
    how do you get the case officer details?
    I had been to immigration tower but they directed me to level 2.
    which is the best level to head to?

call 2824 6111, say you want to talk with your case officer, they will help you and your case officer will call you back in 2 days

Awesome thank you so much!!
    this way I don’t even need to head in until someone has helped me!!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast